Is a Survivor's Pension or Dependency & Indemnity Compensation needed before A&A?

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by acesk, Oct 24, 2017.

1. acesk

acesk Newbie

Hi, My 87-year-old Mom (widow of my veteran Dad) got denied due to not having 1) a survivor's pension or 2) Dad qualifying for Dependency & Indemnity Compensation. She meets the income requirements and has been in Assisted Living for years.

I didn't read anything on their website about this requirement of one or the other to apply for A&A.

Am I stuck now?

I appreciate all of you!

CVSO-PJB Newbie

A&A is an add on benefit. If your Dad served one day during a wartime and your mother's medical expenses qualify her for $1 in Death Pension / Survivor's Pension then she has to have the VA Form 2680 filled out by a Doctor and the Assisted Living fill out the attached form showing what they help her with and what she pays out-of-pocket there. I am also attaching a spreadsheet that we use to screen and estimate pension benefits. Just keep in mind that liquid assets need to be below $80,000 if not in a nursing home.

Usually Assisted living costs are bigger than income so the widow qualifies for maximum pension and the A&A, $719 + $430. Remember you have one year from the first denial to ask them to reconsider the denial, based on new evidence of eligibility, to have the original filing date apply.

I recommend you have an accredited CVSO or VSO help you. We are not allowed to charge since we are paid by our local government or Veterans Organization to help our fellow veterans and extended family. A good CVSO with all the proper evidence can have a pension with A&A approved in less than 60 days, but that is where our training comes in.

** If the claimant is in a skilled nursing home and on MediCAID, keeping only the $45 spending stipend, and is single then the VA provides them $90 in A&A so they have $135 a month in spending money. But if they are married the full pension is awarded along with the full A&A, a portion of which may be used to help support a spouse.

Attached Files:

Kaylin likes this.
  3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

This is extremely helpful @CVSO-PJB . Thank you so much for giving your input.

Question of clarification: In your last note about being on Medicaid and applying for A&A - are you saying that if the applicant is married then they could get the full A&A amount normally awarded to a couple? Even though one spouse is on Medicaid? As long as the other spouse is not on Medicaid?

Again, thank you for your input to answer some questions!