Intent to File--when, how and to whom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jandy, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

My father will be entering ALF in a week and a half, on June 29. I plan to submit "Intent to File" 21-0966 to start the clock for A&A benefits. I have a few questions (and forgive me, I know the first question is picky, but money is TIGHT).

(1) I heard that payments for a VA Claim are effective from the first of the month FOLLOWING the month of the Effective Date.....If we are approved for A&A, I am hoping that the first month of retroactive benefits will be July (the next month after he entered ALF on June 29). SO--my question is how do I get my Intent to File in the VA's hands asap so it reaches them in June? Does the VA take email submissions of 21-0966? How about fax?...And should I follow up with a written copy, too, or will that muddy the waters? It is from the date of receiving a "complete" application. !)

You do not email the application. You mail it Return Receipt to the pension center that handles his state.

St. Paul Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    1 Federal Drive, Fort Snelling
    St. Paul, MN 55111-4050

3.) A&A is a pension.

(2) Whichever mode you advise, where do I send the application? Dad lives in Texas.

(3) Is A&A considered compensation or pension? (21-0966 Section I asks which general benefit I'm intending to file for: compensation or pension)

(3) So that I can communicate with the VA from the get-go, should I also file a 21-0845 (Authorization to Disclose to 3rd Party) along with my Intent to file? Or is that done with the full application?

You can send the 21-0845 with the intent to file or with the completed application.

Thank you so very, very much...

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Please see responses in red.