Intent to File--Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jandy, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Hello. I am at the beginning of this intimidating process--filing for A&A on behalf of my dear father, an Army vet.

My father will be entering an ALF in 1-2 months. I wish to submit an "Intent to File" (VBA Form 21-0966, correct?) to lock in a date, but I want to do it right. Am I understanding things correctly that we should NOT submit the "Intent to File" until my dad goes into the ALF? As it stands now (pre-ALF), Dad's Unreimbursed Medical Expenses are not at the requisite level for eligibility for an award of A&A.

I hope I'm articulating this correctly. I'm so afraid of making mistakes that will hold up the process. Like most people, money is tight and time is of the essence.

Thank you for your time. And I apologize if this has already been addressed inn this forum--I looked and looked but couldn't find an answer.
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

The VA is changing how the deal with the "Intent to File", so my recommendation is that you wait until Dad is physically a resident of the facility. I do suggest that you complete the application, get all the necessary documents, and the only thing left would be the Statement of Occupancy from the facility.

Once you have that, mail Return Receipt to the proper Pension Center. You can find that address here on the forums and on the site. Keep a complete copy of the application for your records.

Good luck with it all.