Intent to File and receipt of first check

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deanyj, Jun 27, 2016.

1. deanyj

deanyj Newbie

I sent in the Intent to File, and it was received Feb 19, 2016. My understanding was that it would make the application effective date March 1, 2016. He was in an ALF since February.

When the approval letter was received in June, it said the first payment would be in April, 2016. They did send retroactive money for two months on June 15, 2016. I do not expect to get June's money until July 1st according to the explanation of how it is done. i.e. the check comes after the month is over.

My question is should the veteran have received March, April and May as retroactive. Then get June in July.

I tried to send an inquiry through the iris.va.gov website for questions, but could not submit the question because it kept asking for a 'dependent zip code'. No where on the site was there a place to enter that zip code.
    There is no place to get help when the website fails or to get support for the problem.

Maybe someone else is having the same problems and can give me some advice.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You would definitely get the June payment on July 1st.

So you are saying the retroactive months should have been March, April and May? But you only received two months as retroactive payments? But the approval letter you received stated that the first payment they were indicating would be for the month of April 2016. The VA sent you April and May retroactive funds, but not March. Is all of this correct? Writing this out helps me to better understand your question.

If you have documentation that the Intent to File was received on Feb 19, 2016 then it does make sense that you should have received retroactive payment for the month of March as well. So, retroactive payments for 3 months rather than the 2 you received.

I hate to tell you this, but I would recommend you calling the VA at 1-800-827-1000 and let them know the situation. If the first person seems not at all helpful, I would call again another day or time. That's the best advice I can give at the moment because you should have received a payment for the month of March.

3. deanyj

deanyj Newbie

Thank you, Kaylin, I wanted to make sure I understood the process (convoluted as it is). I sent a Statement in Support of Claim containing the letter documenting they received the Intent to File on Feb 19, 2016. I also sent the letter of approval documenting the date they determined as the first payment of April 1. )The internet iris site was blocking my submission.)

They have a new? DID (Direct In Dial) Fax number for the Philadelphia Office. It is 215-842-4410 if anyone needs it. I faxed it this morning Hope this type of communication works. We'll see.

4. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You're welcome! I hope that helped to at least get another's opinion. It sounds like you're on the right track to figuring this out and correcting the issue. Thank you also for the DID Fax number for the PA office. I have never heard anyone mention it before.