I process claims for pension benefits at the VA. Ask me anything.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Max, Aug 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Full Member

You don't need numbers 1, 4, 8, 12, 13. Technically you don't need number 3 to satisfy FDC status, but you should include it anyway.

What you definitely need is: 534EZ, 2680, original or certified copy of discharge papers, death and marriage certificate, and some type of Care Provider Statement. If you have current SSA Statement, you can send that to, though I haven't seen a claim get kicked off the FDC track because of a missing SSA statement.

2. Aid4Mom

Aid4Mom Newbie

Perfect. Thank you very much!!

3. Aid4Mom

Aid4Mom Newbie

I digress here.... In my final preparations I have reviewed others post, especially the success stories and it seems that the the income, bank, and brokerage statements have been being included. So my questions is: Why don't I just send it "just in case", or will sending it cause more of a problem than a help?

Thank You!

4. OhioVSO

OhioVSO Newbie

Aid4Mom,

The truth is they really don't want them. Additional documents make their job more difficult. The simpler you make their job, the quicker they can finish the claim and make a decision.

All of that info should be on the forms, those forms are signed by the claimant. That signature is the claimant's legal attestation that it is true.

5. Aid4Mom

Aid4Mom Newbie

Thank you OhioVSO.

6. debbs

debbs Newbie

When is the Medical Expense report form number 21P-8416 due? thanks so much... mom is on aid and attendance for 3 years now.

7. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Unless there are some changes that would impact her award amount to being increased, you don't need to do it. The VA no longer does the annual EVR's.

8. debbs

debbs Newbie

thanks so much....

9. robin

robin Newbie

Hello. I posted this yesterday under a separate post, but then saw your generous offer to help, so figured I would re-post here. I am beginning the process of gathering the documents needed to submit an A&A claim on behalf of my unmarried 85-year-old father, who is considering moving into assisted living. He is a veteran of the Korean Conflict. I think I have already been misinformed by a VA rep, who said that I first need to fill out a 1010EZ form. I did that last week and now think that I may not have needed to, although I guess it won't hurt? Anyway, as for A&A, I first thought that I needed to fill out the 526 form, but now it appears that I should fill out only the 527EZ form? He is not applying for compensation, just the aid and attendance benefits. i consider myself a fairly intelligent person, so the fact that I am not even sure what to fill out just boggles my mind! I want to do my best to get this right the first time, since his ability to receive these benefits will be a deciding factor in whether he can afford assisted living. He already is paying out of pocket for some assistance at home from a friend of the family. Thanks for any guidance!

10. PattyW

PattyW Newbie

Hope you can answer this question. My husband was approved for aid & attendance and we received the letter 8 days before he passed away. We also received a letter indicating a fidiciary needed to be appointed. How do I received the acrued amount listed in the letter that would have been paid for the previous year? I need it to pay back my mother-in-law who paid most of the cost of assisted living and also the balance due to assisted living facility that wasn't paid?

11. vetadmin

Patty,

Our condolences on the loss of your husband.

You can print off from the site VA form 21-601, which is listed under the FAQ section on the site, to apply against the accrued benefits.

Your MIL would need to be the one since she paid expenses on his behalf to make the application, and would need receipts for proof of those payments.

You can only recover up to whatever amount he was owed. If she paid more than that amount, there is no way to recoup that, and if expenses paid were less than the accrued amount, she can only recover what she is actually out of pocket on his behalf.

You only have one year from the date of death to make this application, so the sooner you are in a position to do so, the better.

Again, our sympathies for your loss and this difficult time for your family.

12. PattyW

PattyW Newbie

I was given from 21-534EZ and have filled it out to receive the acrued benefit amount. It only says I need to send a copy of our marrige certificate, my husbands death certificate and any supporting evidence. I have the approval letter from the VA for the aid and attendance benefit dated Dec. 29 with the effective date of Jan 1, 2014. My husband died Jan 6, 2015. The form indicates that I am entitled to receive the accrued benefit amount and as a surviving spouse am first in priority. Won't they send it to me and then I can reimburse my mother-in-law?

13. vetadmin

Patty,

I have sent you and email here through the forums. If you don't receive it, please let me know.

14. bri_33

bri_33 Newbie

My Question #1. On form 21-8049 in “Section III- Monthly Expenses (except medical)” is it allowable to list the taxes and utilities of mom's house that she still owns but is not living in? She is currently in an ALF.
    Thank you

15. vetadmin

No, you would not list those.

16. bri_33

bri_33 Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I am learning a lot on this site.
    So what expenses do go on that form? The room and board part of her ALF fee?
    Her ALF monthly bill is broken into 3 parts.
    1. Private (STD) room
    2. ALF Care Level 2
    3. Medication Level 3

Thanks again
    We are trying to get the VCAA Response out tomorrow.

17. krisakins

krisakins Newbie

HI Expert :) I am trying to find the fax number to send a form 21-0845. I am in Florida. Thanks!!

OK, then where do I find the correct place to mail or call? Thanks Again ;)

18. vetadmin

We don't have fax numbers for the various offices. You might try calling to see if you can get one. Sorry.

19. krisakins

krisakins Newbie

HI again Expert If you don't have fax numbers, where do I find the correct place to mail or call? Again, I am in Tampa, Florida. Thanks

20. vetadmin

All applications for this pension for FL state residents are to be mailed to:

Philadelphia Pension Maintenance Center
    Veterans Administration
    5000 Wissahickon Avenue
    Philadelphia, PA 19101

Applications DO NOT go to local offices.