Household Income

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by mrebele, Sep 26, 2016.

1. mrebele

mrebele Newbie

I am currently beginning the process of applying for Aid and Attendance for my mother. I noticed that on page 10 of the 21-534 EZ it asks for household income. My mother lives with us so, does my income count in her household income or is it just her income? Does my husband's income also count? For right now, she is with us but we will be retiring ourselves in the next year and we don't know where she'll be after that. There is a strong possibility she will need assisted living. She is 91.

This process looks daunting but I think finding this site will really help us through this process. For right now we are just in the "gathering documents" part of the process. With any luck we'll have most of that together in about a week or two. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions by then. Thank you for being here for us.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad to hear the site is helping you and your family. You would look at specifically her income/assets and what she is paying for care. Note, she has to be paying for care in order for her to be awarded the benefit. Even if she's just paying you and your husband a check every week or month to assist her in any way. You have to be able to show the VA she's paying for home care if she's not in an assisted living facility - bank statements submitted with the application can help show proof of this.

3. Kathyk

Kathyk Newbie

I would like to piggy back on this thread if you don't mind. We will also be applying for A & A for my mother and right now for her in home care and expenses I just write a check from her account for cash. Do I need to start writing it to myself for this? Thank you, Kathy

4. Kaylin

Yes, Kathy, it would be best if she were paying you by check each month. Whatever it takes to show proper documentation and evidence that she is, in fact, paying for care. If she's paying you by check then you can clearly indicate this by her bank statements.

5. Kathyk

Kathyk Newbie

Thank you Kaylin. And is this ok to write the check out to myself AND also sign it? I do all my moms signing for checks.

Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

You're welcome! Yes, that's fine. As long as she's okay with it, of course.

7. Kathyk

Kathyk Newbie

Thanks again Kaylin! Of course! This forum has been so helpful.

Kaylin likes this.