Hopeless Cases Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by marlene12, Mar 6, 2013.

  1. marlene12

    marlene12 Newbie

    I wanted to add an update to my last post with some additional questions. ( The previous reply was confusing and then they never got back to me)

    I found a assisted living home for my mom about 1 hour away from me, but it is affordable. Currently my mom only gets social security ( her only form of income) I was told that I could call SS and advise them that she will be going to a assisted living and they would increase her benefits with Social Security Supplement. The supplement isn't a huge amount but it would definitely help. I believe it would be an additional of $200 at most.

    All of the assisted living in my area is about $2,000 a month, which is $1100 less than she gets from Social Security.

    Here are my questions:

    1. Will the VA still approve benefits if she is getting the supplement?

    2. She will have no accountable income , so would she get the maximum allowed?

    3. My hope is that while she is there, they can approve the benefit and then I could move her closer to me.

    4. If I take her out and put her in another faciity do I have to advise VA?

  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member


    She would still have a short fall so that VA should award close to the full award. They will factor in the supplement as it is a means to pay for care.

    Once you get her approved and decide you want to move her closer, you do need to notify the VA of her new residence and the rate she is paying there, along with a Statement of Occupancy. It can all be done on a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim.
  3. marlene12

    marlene12 Newbie


    Thank you so much for your response and also for telling me not to give up. I have one more question regarding the forms I submit. I have seen other answers on this subject and they seem to conflict each other.

    If this is the first time I am filing a claim for Aid and Attendance Benefits do I use form 21-534 or 21-534 EZ?

    Thanks again,
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Go with the 21-534 standard form.

    You do realize that you can send in an informal claim to start the clock on the award date.

Share This Page