Home Care/A&A for Veteran &/or Couple

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by suse, Aug 22, 2012.

1. suse

suse Jr. Member

I hope someone out there can help me once again. You certainly have in the past. My husband, the veteran, has Lewy Body Dementia. I am going to need in home help before he actually needs an assisted living facility. Does that help have to be a relative or can it be a friend who I contract with? Also if these costs and expenses 0 out our income, does that qualify my husband for the full A&A amount or could it qualify us for the couple amount. My understanding is that these amounts are $1700 for him alone and $2200 for us as a couple.

Another question is concerning the countable income where they are including both veteran and spouse income. Does that mean that we get to deduct insurance etc. for both of us or just for him. I'm hoping it is for both of us because if they are counting the spouse income they should be allowing for both expenses????

Lastly I recently read a post about VA requiring a fiduciary in some cases. Does that apply to a patient with Lewy Body?

Thank you,
    Suse

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You are applying for just the veteran. If you do not require assistance, he can't file as a vet with spouse. Sorry, it doesn't work they way you are thinking.

You can have anyone, or any agency come in to provide care.

Yes, more than likely due to the Dementia, they are going to rule him incompetent, and require a Fiduciary be appointed. You can request to act in this capacity.

3. suse

suse Jr. Member

Thank you for clearing it up, Deb. I am just amazed at what you have contributed to our cause. It is mind boggling. I wonder how you can still have a life beyond this website. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there for us.

I was also asking that since both incomes are counted, do they allow both veteran and spouse insurance expenses as deductions for the countable income.

4. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

My husband has not been awarded the benefit yet, so I am not sure what they are going to allow.
    However, our vet helper from the local senior center said that spouse health expenses are an allowable deduction. In our case, that will help a lot because I am currently on cobra which costs about 500 a month.
    We included this on the medical expenses form.

We will see how it pans out if and when my husbands claim is complete.
    Good luck to you. :)

5. maralina1

maralina1 Full Member

My Dad the veteran requires care. My Mom does not. Their countable income is almost $0 because of medical expenses and and my Dad's homecare costs. My Dad was awarded $1991 monthly. The full amount for veteran with spouse is $2020. He would have qualified for this full amount if their countable income was $0 or more. From what I understand, if the veteran needs care and is married he can qualify for this amount. It doesn't matter if his wife requires care or not.

6. vetadmin

Luse,

Thank you for your very kind words and for appreciating my efforts.

The truth of the matter is that when I launched this 7 years, ago, I had no idea that it would grow into what it has. You are quite right in thinking it has taken over my life, but what an honor it is to know that such an effort would touch the lives of so many.

7. suse

suse Jr. Member

Thanks to all of you that replied. Great answers for some questions I hadn't even known to ask but needed to. This website and the one for Lewy Body caregivers are the only place I can come to and feel relief. I don't know if I can list that website here but if so I would be happy to do so. That website gives this website out all the time for veterans with Lewy Body Dementia.

Debbie, there is no doubt in my mind that our Higher Power has given you this endeavor because He knew you could and would accomplish all you have and will continue to accomplish. There is also no doubt in my mind that there is a star in your crown when you join your mother and father in heaven.

Suse

8. vetadmin

Suse,

Feel free to share the website for Lewy Body Dementia, and thanks for offering to do so. Hope it will help others.

9. suse

suse Jr. Member

Debbie,

Just reread my post and the posts that followed....I understand you are saying that both husband and wife would have to need in home help to qualify for the $2020. However another post says her mother and dad are getting it and her mother does not need help, just her dad. What is the correct answer?

Also, when I went to the VSO he had me sign a form as representative but insisted it would not keep me from getting any information I needed from the VA. I am concerned now that perhaps I shouldn't have signed it. Do I have to send it in with the application or is it my choice?

Another thanks to you!
    Suse

10. vetadmin

You should be ok with the amont listed in the other post, but it won't be the $2019.

You need to include the 21-0845 with the application appointing you as an "Approved 3rd Party".