Hi.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AJs Helper, Apr 2, 2010.

1. AJs Helper

AJs Helper Newbie

I am just now compiling all the documentation to apply for my aunt's A & A. I am very apprehensive about this entire process. I've read that the max benefit is only about $700. I've also read that this a a nightmare waiting to happen. Is the process and problems worth the outcome? We are paying $3500 a month for my aunt's assisted living. At this rate it won't take long for her to be destitute. I will undertake this obviously daunting task in the hope that some aid will be given. I am looking forward to reading your posts and learning from your experiences. I hope I will be able to contribute something positive to the board as well.

2. jpez

jpez Full Member

No, the max benefit for a widow of a vet is 1056.
    I would say it is certainly worth it.

3. pattyclarke

pattyclarke Newbie

Ajs Helper,

I haven't filed our application yet, all I can say is that this is a wonderful forum where you will learn a lot about the process. Like jpez said, to have the benefit of $1,056 per month in assistance for your aunt is well worth it. The other point I want to make is that I am hopeful that the process doesn't necessarily have to be a nightmare. When families are struggling to figure everything out and are fortunate enough to come across this forum for help, it seems logical that there are many successful applications that we don't necessarily hear about.

Good luck to you and yours.

Patty

4. KarenO

KarenO Jr. Member

I don't think the actual process is difficult just frustrating since it took me so long to get the benefit and collecting all the documents to send in with the application may take a while to get everything together. My Mom's application was accepted and benefit awarded without any problem. Just took a long time to have a field visit to appoint me fiduciary.

5. AJs Helper

AJs Helper Newbie

The quote, for me, reminds us all to stay involved with our government and it's decisions as much as possible. Don't sit by and allow our law makers and enforcers to make every decision without our input. I love this country I live in and enjoy being a part of the process that ensures our freedom. I believe it is only "the right thing to do" for our government to grant our veterans and their spouses some compensation for their service to our country.

6. jpez

jpez Full Member

PRESS RELEASE
    The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is reaching out to inform wartime veterans and surviving spouses of deceased wartime veterans about an under-used, special monthly pension benefit called Aid and Attendance.
    “Veterans have earned this benefit by their service to our nation,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson. “We want to ensure that every veteran or surviving spouse who qualifies has the chance to apply.”
    Nationally , the VA concluded up to $22 Billion a year goes unspent because vets “are completely unaware the program exists.”
    Although this is not a new program, not everyone is aware of his or her potential eligibility. The Aid and Attendance pension benefit may be available to wartime veterans and surviving spouses who have
    in-home care or who live in assisted-living facilities.
    Many elderly veterans and surviving spouses whose incomes are above the limit for a VA pension may still be eligible for the special monthly Aid and Attendance benefit.

7. AJs Helper

AJs Helper Newbie

I wouldn't have know about this benefit if it were not for the administrators at AJ's Assisted living facility. The Assistant Administrator asked me for the link to this web forum. I gladly sent it to her. I think this forum would help lots of "Kids" who are helping parents, grandparents or aunts and uncles to get settled in their elder care facilities. Thanks jpez for posting this press release.

8. Max

Max Hero Member

Jpez is right. Alot of people miss out on this entitlement because we don't have enough employees in the field doing outreach. Luckily the stimulus has helped boost our payrolls nationwide, but we still need more people out there to get the word out.

9. pattyclarke

pattyclarke Newbie

I have my "Polly Anna hat" on right now. Like AJ, I wouldn't have known about this benefit except that all of the assisted living facilities "hawk" it as an attractive selling tool to make it easier for the family to swallow a $4,000 - $5,000 monthly nut for assisted living facilities for a loved one. If our situation was such that we were paying for in-home care, we probably wouldn't ever have learned about the benefit. I won't stand up on a soap box to taunt the inadequacies of the system, I want to know what we can do as loving family members to help spread the word for the benefit of others. Any suggestions?

Patty

10. jpez

jpez Full Member

Patty
    Cute hat!

See new thread. REACHING OUT