Have a few questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by risingeagle222, Jun 16, 2012.

1. My hubby applied last August, 2011 to upgrade his disability rating and also for A&A. This past week he had to have physical and see pysch by a different VA doctor. They told us he would have a decision in 6-8 weeks. Well I'm not holding my breath on any of this lol. Has anyone had any experience with any of this???? Thanks so much for your time!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

What percentage is his disability rating?

It may be a matter that he will have to choose which will pay him more - compensation or A&A Pension.

3. Right now he is 20% service connected and receives a VA pension. We are trying to get him to 100% service connected with A&A as I can no longer work because he needs someone to help him around the clock pretty much.

4. vetadmin

Not to discourage, but getting a rating increase is a bit of a challenge. At less than 100% he cannot draw the 20% comp and A&A. It would be an either or situation. My guess is the A&A would pay more than what he is getting at 20%.

A veteran can only be awarded both comp and pension is when they are rated at 100%.

5. All of this blows me away. I am so angry with the way our vets are treated and having to wait a year or longer for help is just not acceptable.
    I guess I am not understanding how all this works. Right now he is not getting any comp for his 20% as the pension is higher pay. Can we not get aid and attendance if he is on a VA pension???

6. vetadmin

What "pension" is he getting and what is the dollar amount?

7. He is getting 1,512.00 monthly from the VA pension. He really is 100% disabled now and thats what we applied for last August was to upgrade his rating and for A&A. This past week they sent him to a diff VA doctor for a physical and also a pysch exam. They told us when we left there a decision would be made in 6-8 weeks.

8. vetadmin

At this point, I would suggest you wait to see what their ruling is on getting the 100%. If he gets that, then is eligible for both comp and pension and will get another approximate $656 a month.

9. I appreciate your help very much, so what your saying is out of 2,000 a month if he gets to 100% he would have to pay a caregiver out of that money??????

10. vetadmin

For veteran rated at 100%, and then they apply for A&A they do not have to complete the entire application process.

They simply submit a VA 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim stating they now require assistance for their day to day living and the Dr's evaluation 21-2680. They do not have to submit financial information.

Again, this is for a vet already rated 100% and then applies for the addition of A&A.

If that is not the case, then yes, he would have to show a financial need for A&A and would have to submit financial information, which is based off your combined income.

11. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

My husband is 100% disabled due to unemployability. 80% injuries 20% unemployability. Would he be able to apply for A&A with this breakdown?
    Thanks

12. vetadmin

If his need for daily assistance is due to his service connected injuries, then yes, you should consider filing.