Great news! Another success story!

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by lonestarlady, Feb 3, 2013.

1. lonestarlady

lonestarlady Newbie

We just got the letter yesterday - Dad has been approved and will receive the max monthly award and retro payment!! :D

We sent the first packet in May 2012, and had several requests for more information and more forms to complete (and asking for things they already had)! I really couldn't believe how arduous the paperwork was for applying for this benefit. We contacted Senator Cornyn at the end of November, and this really got the ball moving. Without his intervention, I am sure we would still be in the "development stage". So I encourage everyone to get your Senators involved when you reach that 6+ month threshold!

Debbie, without this site and all the helpful information you and others share with us, I don't think we would gave been able to do it. Words cannot express how much we appreciate what you are doing and we can't thank you enough (but we did send you a donation to help support your efforts).

God bless you!

Cindy

2. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

So happy for you and your dad lonestarlady!
    God bless... :)

3. suse

suse Jr. Member

Congrats, lonestarlady. I am so happy for you & yours. In 2 months I will be contacting Cornyn or Hutchison too..it will be 6 months. If you could send me a message as to how you approached it w/ his office I would so appreciate. Any information would be so helpful for this next part of this arduous journey. We are both Lone Star Ladies...we live in East Texas. My husband is 79 & has Lewy Body Dementia. For those of you who may not know it is a combination of Parkinson's & Alzheimer's.

Suse

4. NANAPATOK

NANAPATOK Newbie

Wonderful news...so happy for you and your dad!
    Your Oklahoma neighbor, Pat

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Cindy,

Congrats and so happy to have been here to help with the process!

Thank you so much for your donation supporting our efforts, and I couldn't be happier for you! It is post like yours that help others to remain positive in spite of the challenges.

All the best to you and your Dad.

6. lonestarlady

lonestarlady Newbie

Suse:

I would recommend contacting Cornyn. Ted Cruz just took over Hutchison's spot in the Senate, so it may take some time for his folks to get organized. Being a Senior Senator and the Senate Minority Whip, I think Cornyn has some strong influences.

I'll send you a private message with a copy of the letter we sent. Hopefully it might give you a baseline to start from.

Cindy

7. suse

suse Jr. Member

Thank you, Cindy. I will be watching for it. (I check this website several times a day...it is an important lifeline for me). I will certainly take your advise.

Suse

8. abby33

abby33 Newbie

Congratulations! That is great news. Did you have to provide copies of birth certificates? Some folks are saying that they provided copies, but I don't see that it is required.

9. suse

suse Jr. Member

I didn't send birth certificates & they didn't request it. I did send our marriage certificate. Since my husband had been married before I also sent the previous marriages for both of us as well as the current married names of those previous marriages. Thankfully they did not request additional information on that issue. Good luck.

Suse

10. suse

suse Jr. Member

Lonestarlady, thank you for the help you provided me. I thanked everyone on this website & named several I had connected with personally but failed to add your name. THANK YOU!!!

Suse

11. abby33

abby33 Newbie

Is it better to contact a State Senator/Congressman or a US Senator/Congressman?

12. vetadmin

I generally recommend the state Senator.

13. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

Wow, so happy for you. I've been going at this for 2 years, and am fed up!! I live in Texas too, and just sent my letter to Senator Cornyn, and so happy to hear of someone having success after contacting him. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. I just got so burned out with all of this I could hardly stand to look at the paperwork any longer.

14. suse

suse Jr. Member

I think you should call the Dallas office for Senator Cornyn in Dallas too so they can explain what they will need from you. The number is 972 239-1310. Address: 5001 Spring Valley Rd. Suite 1125E Dallas TX 75244
    Fax 972 239-2110. They will need a privacy release form which I had my husband sign. He was later ruled incompetent but the VA will still want it signed by him. Let me know if I can assist as I will be glad to help as Debbie & others helped me.

Suse

15. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

Thanks Suse. I did complete the authorization form, and sent that along with a letter explaining our situation. I'm POA for my mom so I sent a copy of that as well. I hope they don't need my mom to sign anything because she has dementia, and she is unable to hold a pen or sign anything. Once they get they get all that how long do you think it will be before they take action?

Thanks again for you help. I really appreciate it!

Kathy

16. vetadmin

Kathy,

The VA does not recognize POA, and until the VA rules your Mom incompetent, she needs to sign. If she can't sign, have her mark and "X" and have two witnesses. If not that, then an inked thumb print and witnessed by two.

17. kjhinshaw

kjhinshaw Newbie

O.K. maybe I'll be able to catch her on a good day and she can sign. It probably won't be readable though. :)

18. vetadmin

That's fine.

19. suse

suse Jr. Member

The Senator's office told me they send an inquiry right away to the VA. However they also told me they give the VA 45 days to respond. In our case results occurred in about 40 days for the approval of A&A pension, less time for the fidudiary appt w/ the VA rep, & the retroactive payment. We did have to have inquiries for all 3 issues but we got results. I am now waiting for the change of status for increase in pension amount to be approved it has been 60 days & the VA website says the phase completion will be by 8/17 & the claim completion by 12/18. RIDICULOUS!!!! I will wait a bit longer & then see, if I haven't worn out my welcome w/ the Senator, if they will assist us again. :) :)

It's ridiculous because we are already approved & they have the backup now for approval of the full pension. It should not take 8 months!!!

Good luck.

Suse