Good News I think

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimmylinn, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

We haven't got a letter but I just checked the bank account and there is extra money in it saying VA Benefit.
    I think Mama got approved don't know any details but something is better than nothing.
    Would the first deposit include retro benefits? Whatever I am happy. 7 months it took.
    Let you know the details when I find out.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Money in the bank always trumps "the letter" that is on it's way! Congratulations to you and your Mom!

The retro amount may be attached to the issue of Mom's competency rating. Did the VA rule her incompetent?

If so, then you will have to go through the fiduciary process for the retro funds to be released.

3. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

Haven't heard a word from them other than the standard letter saying we are still working on it. Should I be hearing from them?

4. vetadmin

You should be getting a letter any time now.

5. vetwife

vetwife Full Member

That is wonderful news Jimmylinn! :)
    So happy for you and your mom.
    My husband's claim is about the same length of time, so this gives me hope too.
    God bless and I hope this helps with your mom's care.

6. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

They approved Mama for a very small amount. They didnot include the money she gives me for
    her care. They need a more detailed statement. What form do I use or do I just write a statement?
    Thanks

7. vetadmin

Use a 21-4138 Statment in Support of Claim to document those expenses, as well as either canceled checks. They should recalulate her expenses and up the award. You should simply state that her payments to you were not factored into her award.

If they have requested other forms to be provided showing her expenses, you need to complete that as well.

Keep us posted

8. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

I know you said we needed cancelled checks but I do everything online and do not have checks but can show transfer from her account to mine. How do I present this? I can order checks and start from now on but would not have them going back to application date. Any suggestions
    Thanks

9. vetadmin

Use checks going forward, and your bank statement would show the transaction, just makes it more complicated.

10. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

I can get copies of statements how many months should I send to them?

11. vetadmin

You won't need them right now with making application, but if the VA comes back and asks for them before approval, you will need to supply them. When they are really going to come into play is on the Eligibility Verification Report.

12. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

I am working on the form 4138 about the wages paid for caregiver. I just stated that she needs around the clock help and cannot be left alone and needs help with every detail. I listed some of the areas that help is needed. I stated how much when and how I am paid. Anything else I need to put in there?

13. vetadmin

They are looking for the dollar amount.

14. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

I put that when I filed a previous form but when she got the award letter it said it could not consider it until
    they received a statement from me the caregiver. So I am once again sending in this form and see what happens. Do I send it to the same place as the application?

15. vetadmin

Yes, and mail it Return Recipt, and as always, keep a copy of it for your records.

16. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

Mailed off today. Let you know what if anything happens

17. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

UPDATE Last post in November . I sent in documents to show Mom was paying me Havenot
    heard anything at all not even a letter. TODAY there is a large deposit in our acct. Woo Hoo!!
    Waiting for letter before we get to excited and spend it.

18. vetadmin

Awesome news and Congratulations!

19. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

Thanks for all your help and support. Will post again when we get official letter.

20. vetadmin

Will look forward to it!