Giving up car and driving under A&A rules

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by donroyster, Feb 27, 2008.

1. donroyster

donroyster Newbie

I have been told that in order to qualify for A&A, I must not own nor drive a car. This was one of the reasons that many of the members of a local American Legion group decided not to participate. Does anyone know the truth of this matter? I talked to someone at VA who didnt seem to know what A & A was, much less the rules.
    Thanks...Don Royster...retired USAF 1949-1969

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Don,

This information is incorrect. In fact in determining assets, allowances for owning a vehicle and home are factored in. We believe you have been give inaccurate information on this point.

3. donroyster

donroyster Newbie

Thanks for your prompt response to my question. From what I have heard, in order to be considered under aid and attendance you must be considered to be homebound and confined. Thus, you are not supposed to have a car to drive yourself to the doctors or medical assistance. This doesn't seem reasonable to me, because one can be in need of aid and assistance and still be able to operate a car and go on his or her own. I am only 75 and can still drive very safely.
    How should I go about determining if what I have been told is true, since I get no help from the VA by phone?

Thanks....don

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Don,

If getting a straight answer from the VA were all that easy, I don't think this site would be necessary. Please check out the following link for insights to your questions as to whether you would qualify for the A&A level of the pension.
    http://www.veteranaid.org/docs/Improved_Pension.pdf

This should offer a better understanding of the car issue as well.

5. kayellen

kayellen Newbie

SOMETIMES you have to give to receive... You WILLl need a caregiver to qualify for Aid & Attendance. You pay the caregiver for all the necessities of living, which is why it is called Aid & Attendance Special Improved Pension.