Form 21-534EZ

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Hija, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Hija

Hija Newbie

I am completing this form (21-534EZ) for my mom to request Aid and Attendance. My dad was a WWII veteran who died in 2011. I have the following questions:

1. Line 16- What Am I applying for? DIC, Death Pension or Accrued Benefits? Death Pension
    2. VA File No. The only number I have is the one assigned to dad while he was receiving disability benefits. Should I use that one? No. You will not have a file # until the VA assigns one.
    3. Line 22.A Should I complete the marriage information for my mom again, although it was included on line 21.B as part of my dad's marriages? She only married once to my dad. Yes.
    4. I just wanted to confirm we don't have to file form 21-527EZ. No, you only use 21-534 EZ
    5. The Medical expense form 21P-8416- My mom's suffers from incontinence. The Depends are a large monthly expense. Is this expense allowed to be included? Include it, but the expense for her care is primary.
    6. I am recording my mom's address in FL. I am in OH. I would like to receive the correspondence. She may loose the mail or forget she even received it. what should I do? Use yours., but you will need a Statement of Occupancy from her facility.
    7. Do I need to complete form 21-0779 even though my mom is going to Assisted Living and not a Nursing Home? Yes, mark through and put Assisted Living (ALF)

Thank you

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Hija,

I can answer some of your questions.
    1. You are filing for Death Pension
    4. You only need to use form 21-534EZ for your mother
    5. Yes, you can include the Depends on the expenses because they are a part of her care expenses.

I am doing some more research on your other questions. Vetadmin might also answer these for you. I hope this helps!

3. Kaylin

Hija,

Regarding form 21-0779, you can mark through Nursing Home and write Assisted Living or ALF on this form. You'll also want a Statement of Occupancy from the ALF your mother is going to to indicate she is paying for care at the facility.

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Hija,

Please see comments in red in response to all your questions.

5. Hija

Hija Newbie

Thank you so much for the replies. I have one more question, should I complete her medical expense report for one month or one year? It doesn't have dates.

6. Kaylin

Hija,

The VA is wanting to see monthly expenses for care, so it's best if you complete her medical expense report with monthly expenses that are recurring.