Form 21-4138 vs 21-0966

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dmackay, Oct 26, 2015.

1. dmackay

dmackay Newbie

What is the difference between form 21-4138 and 21-0966? It looks like they are both used to establish a date of application before sending all the full application papers. Do I need to file both for my father-in-law? He isn't receiving any compensation from the VA and he is filing for the first time for A & A Benefits.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

dmackay,

Form 21-4138 is a Statement in Support of Claim, usually used to add supporting evidence or make some clarifications on the A&A application.
    Form 21-0966 is an Intent to File form used to make the VA aware that you are getting the application together and the veteran and/or spouse will be filing for Aid and Attendance very soon.

If your father-in-law is filing for the first time, you should just send the entire application and the 21-4138 is not necessarily needed unless you want to include additional information to clarify your application answers and situation of your father-in-law. Always mail Return Receipt to the proper pension center for your area.

This page here is the "how to" of the application process with the forms you will need: http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

I hope that helps answer your question.

3. dmackay

dmackay Newbie

That helps a lot! Thank you so much!