Financial documents

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Suncharm28, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Suncharm28

Suncharm28 Newbie

When sending in the application for A&A, what financial documentation, if any, do I need to include? Is a snap shot of today's bank balances ok or do they require to go back? Dad needs to take funds out from his annuity to pay for his federal taxes. Do I report this as well? Package is ready except for a few things.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You would want to send a copy of the most recent bank statement.

If the annuity is a taxable one, you should seek the advice of your tax person to best advise you, as this may be considered an asset by the VA.

3. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

This is my first post, so forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask this question. I applied for A&A for my mother in Dec. 2013. After 12 months, I contacted my Congressional office. They found out she was denied for lack of showing Net Worth. I had supplied her bank statements. That's all she has. No assets. She has been in an Assisted Living facility since Sept. of 2013. I sent a certified bank statement as "Additional Information". I also submitted a change of address so the mail would come to me. If there was a denial letter, it must have gone to the AL home and I never received it. My mother has dementia. ( The AL home has since installed a locked mailbox). Is there anything else I can do? Did I do the right thing? I worry about running out of money while we wait and she has a great home.
    Thank you.

4. vetadmin

#1 Call the VA and speak with someone about her application.

#2 Call her Senator again, and update them.

#3 If none of these work out, send me a message here on the forums.

5. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

I just talked to a VA representative. They have no record of my January 2015 letter and documents. I have a signed receipt. He said they are backlogged with scanning documents into the system and to be patient. I'm afraid I am out of patience. Since they denied the claim in Sept. 2014, he could not talk to me because he saw no claim or the form allowing him to talk to me. I will fax it again,but there is nothing for them to tell me if they haven't entered my update. I emailed my Congressman's office and gave them an update.

6. vetadmin

They do need the 21-0845 Approved 3rd Party allowing them to speak with you.

Their answer of the backlog of scanning documents into the system is unacceptable.

Your/her Congressperson needs to do an official inquiry into her claim. You will need to sign an authorization form allowing them to do so.

If you still don't make any headway, let me know.

7. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

Thank you for responding.

I completed the form. My Congressman's office asked me to fax the copy of the Registered Receipt to the VA. Yesterday, I faxed the receipt copy, the 21-0845 and a copy of the last letter I ever received from them to the VA. FYI- the last letter was 9/3/14 stating they were reviewing my claim and would let me know if they needed any additional information. That is the same month they denied the claim for lack of Net Worth statement. I never received the denial.

I'll keep you posted.

8. vetadmin

Look forward to hearing the updates, and glad that you provided all of that to the Congressman's office.

9. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

I was finally able to talk to someone today. They now have my January updated information, but had not re-opened the claim. The man on the phone filed an Inquiry to Process, since it was supposed to be re-opened within 30 days of the new information. I have a Reference number for that. He said to call back in 10 days to check on it. I suggested my mother is close to running out of money (5 months) and that at the speed things are going, I would like to file for Financial Hardship, but he said she would not qualify because she would need an eviction notice. In her case, her AL home only accepts private pay and we would have to apply for Medicaid and move her to another facility. I am emailing my Congressman the same information as you.

10. vetadmin

Hopefully your Congressperson will be able to expedite, but I do recommend calling in addition to the email.

Hope it all gets worked out in the time frame needed.

11. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

The Congressman's office called and they were told it should take a month to process, unless they need more information. We'll see. I'll keep this updated.

12. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

Surprise, there was a deposit made yesterday to my mother's account for the full amount! I haven't received a letter, but that's okay, I'll take the money first. I'm assuming a letter will follow and address the retroactive payment.

Thanks to this forum and my Congressman's office, who had a Vet Rep.

13. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

My mother had another deposit to her account for this month, but still no letter from the VA about the award or the retroactive payment. Should I be patient or start calling again?

Thank you.

14. vetadmin

I would call and follow up at this point.

15. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

I talked to the VA today. The man could not believe I was getting money without a Notification Letter. It will now be sent. It will have the Fiduciary information, which is what I wanted to begin working on the retroactive payment.

16. vetadmin

With the VA anything is possible.

Glad you finally got someone and will be getting the necessary paperwork to file for the appointment of Fiduciary.

17. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

I waited 3 weeks and called today. They can not find any record of the letter being sent. It will be sent today....

Meanwhile, I already know she is being declared incompetent. I think I will just proceed as if I received the letter and use the wording you have provided to agreeing to it and asking to be appointed the fiduciary.

I"ll keep you posted.

18. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

I had my interview with the Field Officer to become Fiduciary on Tuesday, 8/4. I received a fast interview because my Award Letter states it's a Congressional Inquiry. The gentleman was very nice and very helpful. He said how rare it is to have a private home placement in NY and kept saying how nice it was. I assured him I know it and that's why I have fought to get the Award and the retroactive money, to keep her there. We completed the paperwork and it will be processed.

I am so relieved.

Thank you so much for all of your help and the information on this site.

I have offered the Vet Rep at the Congressman's office my help if there are elderly Vets/spouses trying to complete the paperwork. I hope I can pay forward the help I've received.

19. vetadmin

What fantastic news!!

So glad you got through it all, and will have the funds to provide her care.

Congratulations!!

20. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

I have been approved as Fiduciary. I am about to set up the bank account to receive her retroactive payment. My Mother is deteriorating, so if she needs to move from an Assisted Living home (private) to a Nursing Home and apply for Medicaid, will Medicaid take the retroactive payment funds which will be granted? It will be frustrating to have gone through all of this just to have the money disappear.