Fiduciary Process Started!

Discussion in 'Fiduciary questions' started by Deb K, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Deb K

Deb K Newbie

Wow, I was very surprised to find out that the fiduciary process will begin for us shortly! Considering that I've read on this site that for some people it's been as long as 1 year, I wasn't expecting it to be started this fast. My mom only received her first payment on June 30, 2017 (since the 4th of July holiday was coming up). I received a phone call today at work, which of course I missed, but was able to contact the VA and was put through to the Fiduciary Department. Mom's fiduciary case was just opened today, they're sending her a letter, and I was told that they have about 30 - 45 days to complete the process. I was also surprised to find out that they would want to see her current expenses, including such things as bills for electricity, water, groceries etc. The woman I spoke with also suggested that I show them a copy of my POA so they can indicate it in the record. None of this is a problem, since I have been her active POA for 5 years and have all of that at my home.

No mention was made of needing any references. Maybe that's not asked for when it's going to be a family member?

Thanks again everyone for all of your help. I'll update this once I've gone through the process!