dr exam -"manage own affairs"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ltd123, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ltd123

ltd123 Newbie

On form 21-2680 (Dr exam) question 27 asks for a yes or no answer to "does the claimant have the ability to manage his own financial affairs? " As I read through other discussions here, I fear an answer of "No" would prompt the fiduciary problem.

My father is mentally able to make his financial decisions but due to his blindness, I have to do the writing, going to the bank, managing the accounts, etc. for him. (I have his POA- which I know not to bring up on any form).

Should I mark "yes" on the question and explain on the form that he makes the decisions but I do the other parts??? or just mark "yes" and not explain or does his situation make the answer "no"?

Any advice?
    Laura

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

He he mentally can handle and just needs you for the writing portion, he is capable. Just put yes, and leave the POA out until if and when you have to deal with that based on their ruling.

Good luck!

3. jpez

jpez Full Member

Vetadmin is correct. As long as he qualifieis because of legal blindness, you don't need 'another reason'. Q27 does tend to imply 'mental capacity'.