Does a VA pension affect the Aid and Attendance amount

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by ddavid1073, Aug 2, 2017.

1. ddavid1073

ddavid1073 Newbie

Hi - My mother-in-law is 93 and lives a the local VA home. She receives a small veterans pension of about $450 a month. I know the max Aid and Attendance amount is $1795 a month. If she is approved for the Aid and Attendance will the $1795 be in addition to the $450 or is she only eligible for a total amount of $1795 per month ($450 (pension) + 1345 (A&A)).

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

2. Matt375

Matt375 Jr. Member

Aid and Attendance should only be considered a "tier" of the VA Pension, it does not stand alone on its own. It is the highest level of pension and honestly the only difference in it is that the Maximum Annual Pension Rate (MAPR) is higher. The single veteran MAPR for the Pension is $12,907 while the MAPR for a single veteran needing A&A is $21,531. The claimant still needs to qualify under all of the other pension guidelines but due to medical evidence/reports (VA Form 21-2680) their need is greater and require the assistance of another person for their activities of daily living.

*Please keep in mind that these figures are only for veterans themselves. The MAPR for a surviving spouse is much lower. *

Kaylin likes this.