Documents?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eifan115, Mar 30, 2016.

1. eifan115

eifan115 Newbie

Just starting this process as I hope to get my mom moved into an assisted living facility in the next few months. I am collecting paperwork now. I have a copy of my dad's death certificate and a copy of the marriage certificate. Will these be sufficient or do I need official documents with a seal on them? Also am I correct in thinking that I don't need the DD214 if I have an older version of the form from when my dad was discharged? It is labelled WD AGO 53-55. Thank you for this site. I think it will be a great help as I go through this process.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

eifan115,

They have to be CERTIFIED copies of the death certificate and the marriage certificate. A notary at a bank could help you make sure they are certified copies. Sometimes the DD214 can be switched for another form such as the WD AGO 53-55. You are correct, that can suffice. We recommend you get a certified copy of this document to send in as well. You can send in the original, but we do not recommend it as most people do not get the original back.

I'm glad you have found the site helpful! Glad to be of service. :)

3. eifan115

eifan115 Newbie

Thank you. This might be a dumb question but once I get all the official certified copies, do I actually send those or get a notary to verify them and copy them and send the copies?

4. Kaylin

eifan115,

It is not a dumb question at all. You will include those certified copies in the completed application packet and send it in. Don't forget to mail everything return receipt.

5. VA4mydad

VA4mydad Newbie

I am not sure how to start a new topic, so I hope you dont mind me posting my question here. I am starting this process for my dad. I just put him into an assisted living facility in Florida where he was living. Previously, he was living with a girlfriend at her house, but they are no longer together and I am now his power of attorney. What address do I use for his Intent to file a claim? He had a stroke, so he can't read his mail any more. Will it be a problem if I use my CA address? I plan to move him to North Carolina with me in June where I plan to care for him.

6. eifan115

eifan115 Newbie

Hi VA4mydad.... to start a new topic look on the first page of already posted questions and at the top or the bottom of the page, there are links that say new topic. Just click and you can post something new.

I tried to repost this for you so it would get seen sooner but it wouldn't let me. Good luck!

7. Kaylin

VA4mydad,

Not a problem. And thank you for trying to help a fellow forum member, eifan115!

You can use the mailing address of where you would like all correspondence with the VA to be sent to. Which means, yes, you can use your own address. However, make sure that if you are going to be his fiduciary that you also include the Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to Third Party form in the Intent to File. The VA does not recognize power of attorney, unfortunately.

8. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Sorry to ask new question but cannot find "start a new topic" tab anywhere on the board, so...
    My question is what to do if need to apply for "sick spouse" A&A but folks have no idea what's become of 1946 marriage certificate, in case Dept. of Vital Statistics doesn't have it, either? (Don't laugh, but will a religious marriage certificate that has both their names and date of marriage work??)
    Thanks!

9. Kaylin

Rockola,

Not a problem. Well, this is a questions I haven't come across yet. I would guess if it were some sort of legal document than that would work if a veteran were filing for a sick spouse. If the religious marriage certificate can be certified than it might work? Make sure to explain on the application that it is what you are using for the marriage certificate. I wish I had a better answer, I don't know if anyone has tried this before.

10. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Rockola,

If they know the county they got married in, check with the courthouse there.

Don't laugh, but a lot of folks have found needed documents through Ancestry.com Might be worth a shot.

If you can't come up with anything, have the children, and other relatives/friends sign individual statements that they have lived together as man and wife for "X" years, and use one of the children's birth certificates that should list the mother and father of the child. Put that all together and provide a statement on the 21-4138 (Statement in support of claim) explaining the marriage certificate cannot be found, and that all measures have been exhausted to get a copy.

Good Luck!

11. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Thanks, Kaylin and vetadmin. So turns out my Dad had already called and determined that he can, in fact, get a copy of their marriage certificate. Would've been fun to see what would happen w/out it, though!

12. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome, and glad it won't be such an adventure for you to start the process.

13. Rockola

Rockola Newbie

Thanks again, vetadmin, and me, too!
    (Meanwhile, just posted a new question - found "start new topic" - about intent to file vs. FDC.)