Do I have to return benefits?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Virginia, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Virginia

Virginia Newbie

My mother received A&A pension as a widow in assisted living. She passed away on November 10, 2012. I notified the VA both by phone and by letter. The fiduciary bank account shows a direct deposit of the monthly benefit on November 30, 2012.

Do I have to return this benefit? (I forget if the end of month direct deposit is for that month or the next month.) If it was for November, the assisted living facility required that I pay the entire month of November and would not refund any of the rent.

If I have to return the benefit, can someone please tell me how to do that? I want to wrap up her affairs as soon as possible. Writing the regional office seems to be a black hole. (we are in the Atlanta Regional office).

2. Fit2009

Fit2009 Sr. Member

They will take it back - it may take them awhile - they generally take it back automatically and if its not there you will receive a letter demanding it, so make sure you keep it aside to give back to them,
    With Sympathy on the passing of your mother

3. Max

Max Hero Member

You can also write a check to return it. Just include the file number.

4. Virginia

Virginia Newbie

Here is the update, in case others are in my situation.

I wrote the VA again asking them to stop sending benefits as my mother had passed. I next received a form letter that began "thank you for your application for veterans benefits...." and the letter went on to say they have a back log in processing applications.

However, today I finally received a letter from the VA's Debt Mangement Center in St. Paul, MN acknowledging my mother's death and asking me to write a check to return several month's worth of benefits.

Just to be on the safe side, I asked the bank to block any further direct deposits.

In case anyone ever needs it, the address of the Debt Management Center is:

Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building
    PO Box 11930
    St. Paul, MN 55111-0930

There is a phone no of 1-800-827-0648
    email address: dmc.ops@va.gov

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for coming back to update, and to share the contact information.

6. I am sorry for the loss of your mom. :(