Discharge Papers- Wait to submit complete paperwork?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ksflygirl, Mar 7, 2011.

  1. ksflygirl

    ksflygirl Newbie

    Ok- The thing that will take the longest at this point for me will be receiving my deceased father's discharge papers from 1945. Many of the records as you may know, were destroyed in a fire where they were kept in St. Louis in 1973.
    Do I wait to submit my paperwork and application until I receive them? Or should I go ahead with everything else, explaining they are being searched for?[/b]

    Thanks everyone!
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

  3. ksflygirl

    ksflygirl Newbie

    I have just submitted that March 1- so I do need to wait for the discharge papers and file it all together then- correct? Thank you for all the help I have found here. I don't think anyone could do this process without the information I have received here.
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Yes, you need to wait until you have everything to send off a complete application. You don't want to give the VA any reason/excuse to set it aside waiting on missing documents.

    By sending in the Informal Claim, you have started the clock and that is the most important thing.

    You're very welcome, and glad you are finding help here.
  5. ksflygirl

    ksflygirl Newbie

    Received "Certification of Military Service" form yesterday! Took approximately 2 weeks to receive. Cover letter indicated my father's records were lost in the 1973 fire. It does say it verifies his service and may be used for any official purpose. So I think I have everything. My plan is to review all my paperwork and send it Monday. My continued thanks to this site, which has been invaluable in this process. I will be ready to post any last minute questions before filing :)
  6. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Make sure you have the proper mailing address for the pension center that handles his state; If you don't have it let me know, and I will give you what you need.
  7. Caroliso

    Caroliso Jr. Member

    congrats, ksflygirl, I am hoping to follow in your footsteps soon.

    good luck!
  8. Max

    Max Hero Member

    I disagree with Debbie on this one. If you submit an application that is only missing the discharge, VA might be able to work the claim without it. Also, VA can electronically request verification of service through the National Personnel Records Center on your behalf. This often saves time and helps you avoid waiting.
  9. ksflygirl

    ksflygirl Newbie

    No Worries- I received the papers! Just laughing this week as I am checking and rechecking that I have in fact compiled EVERYTHING. Maybe I should throw in my Yorkie-Poo to seal the deal??? LOL. My deepest gratitude to everyone who in some way offered their knowledge and insight into the process. Off it goes tomorrow- it is a work of art if I do say so myself :)
  10. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    Be sure to send Return Receipt, and just want to make sure you have the proper address for the pension center that handles your state.

    Good luck with the process, and keep us posted.

    PS. Dont' send the dog. :)
  11. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    You're welcome!

Share This Page