Dental Expenses? (Not Recurring)

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by care4vets, Jun 9, 2015.

1. care4vets

care4vets Newbie

Hi,
    I have searched for this answer, but have not found a definitive one, although I believe the answer is "no." My friend just had extensive dental work done and her out-of-pocket expense is about $2,000 one-time total. She receives A&A monthly (but is not maxed out). She is wanting to turn in these expenses to the VA for reimbursement. I explained that the VA only factors recurring expenses into an award, but that I would double-check if we had any options. (There is also extensive plumbing work being done on her home, which I don't believe qualifies for medical reasons, although it is necessary to have clean water to be healthy. Correct me if I'm wrong that you cannot count this). Is it possible to file new updated financial paperwork and turn in this dental expense, realizing that the benefit would only be for this year and then it would go down next year again? Or is it fruitless to even try? I am very hesitant to send in new information unless absolutely sure it will be accepted. But I wanted to check every possible source to be certain.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

The dental expenses would not be an allowable deduction nor would the VA allow for the plumbing work.

They can use the award amount to pay for the plumbing, but not claiming the expense.