Denied Pension/Reapplying as Surviving Spouse

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Angelreborn, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Angelreborn

Angelreborn Newbie

Thank you so much for this website. My family applied for the Aid and Attendance for my father and paid an attorney $2000!! We were denied! Fortunately, Medicaid helped cover a portion of his nursing home expenses. My father passed away in April. We are now going to apply again for my mother as surviving spouse as we have had to place her in an assisted living facitility due to her dementia. I'm just getting started gathering the information for my mother's application. In applying for my mother should I use the claim number from my father's application or just leave it blank?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Angel,

Sorry am just seeing this post as it was not in the "general" topics, and most do not post here.

My condolences on the loss of your Dad.

No, you would not use the file number given to your Dad. You need to let the VA assign your Mom a file number.

I would like to know the reason given for the denial on your Dad's application if you don't mind sharing that with me.