DD214 question

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by ShannonJ, Jul 12, 2016.

  1. ShannonJ

    ShannonJ Newbie

    I'm new here and would like to help my Dad apply for the Aid & Attendance pension. Dad has dementia and is in a nursing home so is unable to sign forms. I saw a post describing a procedure for signing his application form using fingerprints but my problem is his DD214.

    I have a wallet-size laminated card with his DD214 information on it. It was accepted by the nearby Military National Cemetery which allowed us to bury my Mothers remains there before my Dad's death. However the print on the card is so tiny you need a magnifying glass to read it. It's the only copy of his service records I have. It appears I need my Dad's signature in order to get a copy of his service record. I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I try just photocopying both sides of the card or is there some way I can get a copy of his records without him needing ro sign something?

  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

  3. ShannonJ

    ShannonJ Newbie

    So can we use the same technique to request his DD214? Every form I've encountered wants his signature.

    I think my brothers and I will be pursuing legal guardianship but in our state that process takes a while and I'd like to get started on his A&A application.
  4. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member


    I don't think you necessarily have to have his signature to request the DD214 on line through that website I provided. If you want to do it by mail with the Standard Form 180, then you might have to do the same method with the fingerprints and two witnesses signatures.

Share This Page