DD 214 Necessary?

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by Maven, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

We have my father in laws Honorable Discharge "certificate" issued by Navy in 1945, do we still need to obtain a DD214 in order to apply for A&A for mother in law.Thanks.

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Maven,

You do need the DD 214. You can request a copy of it here: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

3. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

Thank you for the response. The record is from 1945, will it really take 6 months? Ive got an 89 yr old mother in law who needs to go into care.I'm seeing it may 6 months to get the DD 214, and I'm seeing lots of places promising to shortcut that.Can anyone recommend a reputable one?

4. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

I just found the Notice of Separation from U.S. Naval Service NAVPERS-553 issued 1945 original.Can we use this rather than DD 214?

5. Kaylin

Maven,

You can use the Notice of Separation in place of the DD 214. I highly recommend you do your homework with any company or service that claims they can speed up the process of the Aid and Attendance application. Many of these companies will charge you a fee of some sort to either file the application or move some assets around, do some financial advising, etc. These people are not supposed to be taking advantage of veterans and families this way and I highly recommend you do not use their services.

You can do the application yourself. There have been thousands of success stories of people doing the application themselves and you can even find some of these stories on the forums.

6. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

Kaylin,

Cant thank you enough for your help.So do we just send a photocopy of the NAVPERS-553 as is with everything else? Does it need to be certified? The back is stamped with a Certificate of Eligibilty #.

7. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Maven,

DD-214's were not issued until later in the 50's, so the NAVPERS-553 is fine.

8. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

Do you know if it has to be a certified copy?

9. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Maven,

We recommend certified copies rather than originals.

Most banks have a Notary on staff, and they can make a certified copy noting that it is a True and Accurate copy.

10. Kaylin

You are most welcome, Maven. As vetadmin mentioned, we do recommend a certified copy rather than sending in the original. The notary at a bank can help you with that.

11. Maven

Maven Jr. Member

We live in Belize so I'm assuming the copy would have to be certified by U.S. embassy here rather than local notary, correct?

12. Kaylin

Maven,

Most likely. That would be the way I would go about it.