Cost of Living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nepavet, Feb 8, 2015.

1. nepavet

nepavet Newbie

Hello. I was wondering if anyone knows how the cost of living increase for aid & attendance works. This is the first year that my father has been receiving the benefit so i'm not certain if the adjustment is automatic or not. As of this month, he has still not received any increase. Is there something I need to do? Also, I recently realized that I didn't report his cola increase that he received for social security. How do I go about reporting any future changes in income or changes in medicare supplement premiums, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

The adjustment is the same as SS, which was 1,7%, and it should have been automatic and reflected in the December check.

3. nepavet

nepavet Newbie

Thanks for the reply. So I just received a letter today stating that the benefit would be reduced due to the fact that there was an increase in his ss benefit. I understand why they would reduce it, but why wouldn't he have received the increase for his A&A? Also, can you tell me how to report future changes to the VA? What form(s) would need to be filled out when any premiums change or next year when his ss increases again?

4. vetadmin

You're welcome.

Any time you need to update the VA on something impacting this pension, you would use VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim.

5. 330PMC

330PMC Newbie

sometimes the math works out that a cost of living increase in social security will create a decrease in the VA pension. the way the law is written, the decreased benefit is deferred to january.

6. care4vets

care4vets Newbie

Medicare Question

Hi,
    I have a question about adjustments made for Social Security COLAs. When the VA makes the adjustment in benefits, do they also automatically factor in Medicare increases? (Haven't had to send updates in a while & Medicare went up in the meantime). I assume "yes" but just want to make sure.

Thanks!

7. vetadmin

We are not sure on how the VA factors that in, if at all.