Confusion on mailing addresses

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Frank Womble, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Frank Womble

Frank Womble Newbie

I'm puzzled by what looks like a contradiction in the required mailing address for the A&A application.

On the How to Apply page, it says that the mailing addresses are all in Janesville, WI. Can this be correct?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Frank, the VA is in a transition process for changing their addresses to file for pension benefits. Right now it would be best to send new applications to the Janesville, WI address and then follow up 30 days later by calling the VA to make sure the application has been received. This can also be assured by mailing return receipt. For current correspondence to the VA if you've already submitted an application go ahead and keep sending to the original address you sent your application.

3. Frank Womble

Frank Womble Newbie

Well...here's some more confusion. I sent the intent to file form to the VA's Philadelphia address and received a letter back today dated August 19th acknowledging receipt. However, an enclosure to the letter titled "Where to Send Your Written Correspondence" gives yet another address for Virginia and many other states. It is: Department of Veterans Affairs, Claims Intake Center, PO Box 5235, Newnan, GA 30271-0020. Locations included under this address are: AL, CT, DC, FL, GA, IN, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VT, VA, WV, Puerto Rico, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, Palau, Marshall Islands, and Federated States of Micronesia. For all other states and foreign addresses, the enclosure provides this address: Department of Veterans Affairs, Claims Intake Center, PO Box 5235, Janesville, WI 53547-4444

4. Kaylin

Frank, that is very interesting. Thank you for letting us know here on the forums. I can see the confusion! Unfortunately that comes quite often when working with the VA. If the letter with "Where to Send your Written Correspondence" says to send any correspondence to that address, then I suppose you should do so. Since you sent an Intent to File, I think when you are ready to send in the full application you might want to send to the claims centers we have listed on our How to Apply page here depending on your state: http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

That is the advice we were given from a person at the VA. As far as I know, since we have made these address changes on the site, they have been getting to the right place. Just make sure to mail everything return receipt, and while the VA is in this transition process I would call maximum 30 days after you send your application if you haven't heard from them to make sure they have received your application.

5. Frank Womble

Frank Womble Newbie

Once again...more confusion on mailing addresses. Despite the fact that I sent the application to the Newnan, GA address above as directed by the VA, I learned from the USPS website where one tracks certified/return receipt packages that it arrived in Newnan but was subsequently FORWARDED to Janesville, WI, where it was then picked up! One has to wonder why you wouldn't just send it to Janesville in the first place.

6. Kaylin

That is most confusing. But I'm glad to at least hear it got forwarded to the appropriate location and the Janesville, WI addresses we have listed on our How to Apply page seem to be correct.

7. debralee

debralee Newbie

Getting ready to submit "intent to file" 21-0966 and "auth to disclose" 21-0845 for my 88 yr old mother who resides in an ALF in Arizona. Should documents still go to St. Paul Pension Maint. Center in Janesville,WI? Currently, the VA website shows PO Box 11000, St Paul,MN.
    Would be nice to get the process started off in the right direction!

8. Kaylin

Right now we advise people to send their applications to the updated address we have on our How to Apply page here, depending on what state the applicant lives in. However, because the VA is in a transition process in moving the addresses where the applications should be sent, we highly advise you mail return receipt and keep a complete copy of the application for yourself. Follow up with the VA after one month if you have not gotten any notification that it has been received by the pension center you mail to with the return receipt to make sure they have it.

AL, AR, IL, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, OH, TN, WI

Department of Veterans Affairs
    Claims Intake Center
    Attention: Milwaukee Pension Center
    PO Box 5192
    Janesville, WI 53547-5192
    AK, AZ, CA, CO, HI, IA, ID, KS, MN, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, OR, SD, TX, UT, WA, WY

Claims Intake Center
    Attention: St. Paul Pension Center
    PO Box 5365
    Janesville, WI 53547-5365
    CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, MA, MD, ME, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, PR, RI, SC, VA, VT, WV

Claims Intake Center
    Attention: Philadelphia Pension Center
    PO Box 5206
    Janesville, WI 53547-5206

9. debralee

debralee Newbie

Many thanks for the verification of address. Return Receipt date stamp from the VA shows date of Oct. 17. Should I be expecting an acknowledgment from the VA regarding the Intent to File? Hoping to be ready to file the completed form within the next month.
    NPRC was fast and already have received certified DD214 for my deceased father.

10. Kaylin

I would say so, yes. If you don't receive any acknowledgement within the next couple of weeks I would go ahead and call them to verify they have the Intent to File in their files. You're welcome! Best of luck.

11. debralee

debralee Newbie

Acknowledgment from the VA arrive today- just shy of 4 weeks from date stamped receipt. You guys have their timeline pretty well figured out!

Kaylin likes this.
  12. afk324

afk324 Newbie

Thank you for posting and answering in this Thread. I will be there soon with mailings. afk324

Kaylin likes this.