"Certified" discharge papers

Discussion in 'Tips and Resources' started by flynnski, Dec 28, 2014.

  1. flynnski

    flynnski Newbie

    My dad kept his original discharge papers (for both WWII and the Korean Conflict). They look like they are on fragile parchment paper and have a stamp on the back. He also has copies of these papers. Do you suggest I still request a "certified" copy of these papers or should I send the originals? I hate to give these up! We are in a battle against time...my dad is under Hospice care.
  2. flynnski

    flynnski Newbie

    Nevermind! I went to the County Clerk and got a certified copy of his WWII discharge papers. He never did register his Korean Conflict papers with the clerk, so the woman there suggested that I still just make a copy of them and send them along. Both tours were within the specified dates for wartime.
    RonH likes this.
  3. toxdoc49

    toxdoc49 Jr. Member

    My understanding is that they have to be certified copies. I don't want to give up the original either! I'm glad you found them there, that was a lot quicker than requesting copies.
    Kaylin likes this.
  4. fastcare

    fastcare Newbie

    great info
  5. Southern Boy

    Southern Boy Newbie

    If you have a VA Regional office close to you they will make "certified copies" as well.
    Kaylin likes this.

Share This Page