Best way to handle supplemental funds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lonestarlady, Oct 3, 2012.

1. lonestarlady

lonestarlady Newbie

I apologize in advance, as I am sure I saw this discussed elsewhere on this Board, but for the life of me I can not find it now...

My Dad is pretty close to having nothing left in his back account, so he will only have his SS which only covers less than half of his ALF and other medical expenses. My brother and I will have to start covering the balance of expenses. We are still waiting on a decision from the VA on his application.

What is the best way to keep this documented? Should we pay the facility directly, or draw up a loan agreement with my Dad and deposit the money into his bank account and let him pay it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes draw up an agreement, and pay the facility with your own checks and get a receipt from the facility showing you made up the difference. Do not put the money in his account. You want to be able to show you paid it, and if you put it his account, it will be reflected in his statement that you would have to account for where the money is coming from.

If there are accrued benefits that do not get paid out, with your receipts you will be able to file against those funds.

3. lonestarlady

lonestarlady Newbie

Thanks Debbie!