Benefits/application process for disabled adult child of deceased vet?

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by Dayz33, Nov 3, 2017.

  1. Dayz33

    Dayz33 Newbie

    This question is actually two-fold, so I had trouble picking which forum to post this in. My 92 year old mother and my 67 year old developmentally disabled brother moved into an assisted living facility in September of this year. They are sharing the same apartment, and I share co-guardianship of my brother with my mother. I'm about to begin the process of applying for A&A for my mother, but have some questions about my brother's situation:
    1. Is it true that as the disabled adult child of a deceased vet, he is eligible for A&A? (The VA publication 2016 Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents, and Surviving Spouses does not seem to discuss disabled adult children, that I can see, only children under a certain age.)
    2. Question 10 on the application allows for "custodian filing for child" as well as "surviving spouse", but Section IV offers a "seriously disabled" dependent child option. Should I file one application for my mother, and indicate brother in Section IV, and submit two medical forms (21-1680) one for each of them, or
    3. Two seperate applications with brother's Question 10 as "custodian filing for child" and rely on the medical form (21-2680) to indicate and describe his disability?
    4. Or maybe it doesn't matter? Would one of these scenarios result in a more favorable outcome than the other?
    5. Now that I've typed all this out, I'm wondering about the financial aspect of this. Mom receives SS and my father's annuity monthly, brother was on SSI (disability) until 2015 when he turned 65. He now receives SS Survivorship/Disabled Child payments monthly. Does this situation affect the answers to my questions?
    Thanks for your help. I hope my questions aren't as confusing as the process. This certainly IS daunting.
  2. Dayz33

    Dayz33 Newbie

    It's been over a week since I posted my questions, and haven't received any replies, but I did find this at the site. Thought I'd share it in case the 36 folks who saw my post are curious.

    "While an un-remarried spouse is eligible at any age, a child of a deceased wartime Veteran must be:
    • Under 18, OR
    • Under age 23 if attending a VA-approved school, OR
    • Permanently incapable of self-support due to a disability before age 18"
    My brother is therefore eligible, since he has been developmentally disabled since birth. I am going to submit a separate application for him, and hope for the best!
    Kaylin likes this.
  3. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Thank you for coming back to let us know some details you found on this situation. I encourage you to keep coming back to let us know more as you continue this journey. We'd appreciate the insights here as this is an unusual application.
  4. Dayz33

    Dayz33 Newbie

    I'll definitely continue to post. My guess is there are others like my brother who could benefit from having funds for assisted living. In my state, group/foster homes are as scarce as hens teeth, and almost certainly don't provide the same level of care and stimulating activities for folks like my brother. It would be such a relief to know that when my mother passes, my brother can remain in such a safe environment. In fact, when the assisted living facility asked for copies of all his mental health evaluations, I had to contact our state's Developmental Services. His caseworker was actually shocked to learn that disabled adult children are eligible for these benefits from the VA. I'm hoping that my family's situation will help others facing the question of future care for their siblings.
    Kaylin likes this.
  5. 98bonga

    98bonga Newbie

    Hi there. Not sure if you saw my original or updated post or if I am writing in the right spot. My 57 year old Down Syndrome sister is in the same circumstance, except my dad passed away a little over a year ago. My sister is now living in a wonderful senior complex also with great activities. It took about 2 months for her receive VA approval as a Disabled Adult Child Pension of $183 a month for life. I encourage you to fill out the paperwork.
    Kaylin likes this.
  6. Dayz33

    Dayz33 Newbie

    Hi, 98. I just now read your posts about your experience obtaining benefits for your sister. Glad to hear the process went relatively quickly. Gives me some hope!
    Kaylin likes this.

Share This Page