Award letter received but amt seems too low

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by rich68, Feb 3, 2015.

1. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Rich,

When you have that next meeting, I would ask for the clarification on those expenses.

On a positive note, at least they finally added your home care, and wife's income. It may be one step at a time, but hopefully can get it right, and soon.

2. rich68

rich68 Newbie

The New VSO in my area resubmitted a reconsideration of benefits amount including receipts, stating
    this is the third time I have tried to get this straightened out. He told me the same thing as far as step by step.
    I am ever hopeful. Thanks for your comments.

3. vetadmin

Rich,

Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm.

We look forward to a positive update from you soon.

4. rich68

rich68 Newbie

Well VA responded with letter stating they have received my written disagreement regarding countable income.
    Further they say I should decide between a DRO or traditional appeal within 60 days. (Post-Decision Review Process).

Last time they simply made the correction-- but now it looks like I have to go through the whole thing again?
    Can't they simply review the paid receipts and Medigap premiums statements I just sent? This is puzzling to me.

5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

rich68,

The VA does not seem to be getting your application straight from what I am reading. I would use form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to show the VA the extra monthly expenses that they are not accounting for along with any receipts or bank statements needed if you have not already done so.

Our recommendation here is to never appeal to the VA on their decision because it could take anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 years to get anywhere.

I would stay on top of it, get in touch with your local VA office and make sure you sit down with someone and form a good plan for making these corrections.

6. rich68

rich68 Newbie

Thanks for your insight. There is a new VSO in training and he made an error apparently by filing an appeal.
    The prior VSO had been filing form 21-4138 which had provided some increases in pension each time.
    I have[size=14pt][/size]an appointment later this and hope they can help me figure this out.

7. rich68

rich68 Newbie

An added note: The VSO office just told me they can't change an appeal once it's in motion.
    Is this really true?

Any tips for when I sit down with VSO later this month and discuss this?
    Thanks for your input,

Rich

8. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

rich68,

Again, we recommend that you do not appeal the VA's decision as this can take anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 years to get anywhere. The best bet is to keep providing supporting documents (like receipts) and use Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 to update the VA on your expenses and income to get a change in award amount.

It wouldn't make sense to change an appeal once it's in motion anyways because it would then move back to the bottom of the pile. Does that make sense?

I suggest you talk with your VSO, letting them know you want to never appeal the decision but simply provide supporting documents to the VA.

9. rich68

rich68 Newbie

Saw my former VSO who just submitted 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim to show the VA the extra monthly expenses that they are not accounting for. He requested withdrawal of the "Disagreement" and asked for a "Reconsideration".

Thanks for your comments and help. We shall see what happens next.

Rich68

10. vetadmin

rich68,

Sure hoping that this will finally get this all resolved for you, and that you can come back with a positive update on things.

11. rich68

rich68 Newbie

Thanks. At least the Va answered and agreed to withdraw the disagreement and process my claim as a reconsideration.
    step by step we go...

12. vetadmin

Progress hopefully is being made!