Assisted Living Cost's

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Lewis Knudsen, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Lewis Knudsen

Lewis Knudsen Newbie

Applying for Assisted Living for my Wife, on the application it ask for a cost. I only have an estimated average cost for the area we live in. As this is a prelude for what is eventually going to happen. My Wife is becoming more & more handicapped each day. I'm just trying to get all the ball's moving in the right direction. So, the actual question is: Is the estimated average costs for assisted living adequate for the application ?

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Lewis, one thing to note is you have to be paying for care in order to be awarded the A&A benefit. If you are just starting the process - for instance, doing an Intent to File form - you can't really claim anything on the form that she isn't currently paying for. If you can get her spot secured in an assisted living facility then you will have the price estimate you need. I know it's dumb that you can't even get awarded the benefit to help pay for care until after you're already paying for care. But that's the way the VA rolls. :(

Lenzi004 likes this.