Aid & attendance Pension processing time varies by state?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Froggy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Froggy

Froggy Newbie

I read in another post that application for Aid & Attendance Pension time would be variable. My father-in-law was living in FL at the time of his application submmittal but has since had to move into assisted living in KY to be near us. Will this relocation change the VA facility handling the application (now Philadelphia)? If so, what impact in the approval time should be expected?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

I am suggesting that you don't do anything until the application has made it through the process.

Once you do, you will need to do a VA form 21-4138 informing the VA of his move, the new address of the facility, and a Statement of Occupancy from the new facility. If the rate of care has gone up or down, you need to make them aware of that as will, but it should be listed on the occupancy statement.

KY is handled through the St. Paul Center. If you do anything now, the file will be pulled and will add substantially to the processing.

3. Froggy

Froggy Newbie

Thanks so much for your info. Just as I suspected, if we indicated a relocation at this point Philly would clear their inbox of the file and it would go back to the bottom of the other office's pile.

4. Froggy

Froggy Newbie

Good news - just received notice from VA that my father-in-law has been approved for A&A Pension. They ruled a finding of incompetance though which will require that I be appointed as his fiduciary before getting the back months withheld payments. Apparently the info. on that process will be under separate cover. Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of regarding that process or is it pretty straightforward and mostly a formality? The other questions is should I still wait until after the fiduciary process to file the VA 21-4138 indicating his move? Will the move into assisted living require that he sell his homestead (in FL) and if so the resulting proceeds from the sale reduce or possibly disqualify him from his pension? He does still have very lucid periods w/o much confusion and we frequently have him sign the checks to pay his bills, etc. with our help To us it's a matter of respect for him and trying to bring as much normalcy into his life as possible.

5. Froggy

Froggy Newbie

Now that my father-in law has made it through the process but ruled incompetant and will require a fiduciary to received withheld funds, would this be the time to send in a 21-4138 with address change? I've been trying to find out more about that whole fiduciary process and note that an in person interview will be conducted with the veteran and the fiduciary. It would seem that they'd need the new address to assign an agent in the nearest office to handle the case. I'd like to be able to gather any information they may need ahead of time so that it is available at the interview and perhaps expedite the approval. Now that a determination has been made and the monthly pension amount determined, can we make plans going forward based upon that amount or is there periodic review of assets and adjustments to pension amounts which may change (either up or down) in the future? Thanks so much for your help to all the posters on this forum!

6. vetadmin

Yes, now that the application has made it through the process, inform the VA of his new address.

The Field Agent will let you know what documents are necessary for the interview. Do not expect this to happen in short order as the scheduling of these appointments can be months out. You can also do a search here on the the forums for others who have already been through the Fiduciary process.

Congratulations on at least getting through the determination.

7. Froggy

Froggy Newbie

Now that my father-in-law has had to move from his home into assisted living, I'll submit a form 21-4138 to notify VA of his new address. I assume that I can also submit a facility statement of occupancy at the same time with that form. It remains unclear to me if we'll be required to sell his home and add any proceeds to his assets? If so and his total assets after the sale exceed some threshold ($80,000?), will his pension approval be revisited and possibly revoked?

8. vetadmin

You do not "need" to sell his home. That is a personal choice to handle how you see best.

Yes, you need and should include a Statement of Occupancy with the 21-4138 informing them of his new residence.

9. Froggy

Froggy Newbie

Is there a specific VA "Statement of Occupancy" form to be filled out by the assisted living facility? It's good to know that apparently we'll not be required to sell his house in a currently depressed real estate area. It would certainly be best if we could wait a little while for values to recover. He feels that he's already lost so much control of his daily life (not to mention his wife of 68 yrs.) and having to sell now would be an additional blow to him.

Thank you so much for you efforts on behalf of the veterans and their families! Your answers to questions help many in similar situations besides just us.

10. vetadmin

You're more than welcome, and I am happy to help however I can. I have been that daughter out of hope, options, and resources, so I more than understand.

The facility will have the Statement of Occupancy. You will just need to ask them for it.