Aid & Attendance for Spouse after Vet dies

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by rapper, Jan 17, 2015.

1. rapper

rapper Newbie

Last year I was successful in obtaining Aid and attendance for both Mom and Dad (who is the vet). Both parents are in a nursing home. Dad has taken a turn for the worst and does not have long to live. When Dad passes away Mom would still qualify for aid & attendance so where do I send the notice of my Father's death and is there another form that I should also send to remind them that my Mom is still living and qualifies for the spousal benefit of aid & attendance.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Rapper,

We are sorry to hear that your Dad is facing his final days.

I am also sorry to tell you that, you will need to make a new application for Mom as the surviving spouse. The VA does not automatically make the adjustment, which is unthinkable.

You will need a certified copy of the death certificate to include with her application. You will have to submit all the same documents the VA already has on file for your Dad.

You can call the VA and notify at the time, and they will automatically stop the pension. Ironic as to how long they take to process and start, but have not problem abruptly stopping. They do not pro-rate the month of death.

If you can start the application for Mom and stand ready to mail when the time comes, it may make things a little easier for you.

3. rapper

rapper Newbie

Thanks, Debbie. I am looking for the Application but I am confused. Do I fill out VA Form 21-534EZ? And if that is the correct app.; sections 7,8,9 and 10 appear to be for only death pension or parents DIC. Do I fill out these sections for Mom as the surviving spouse? Thanks

4. vetadmin

Rapper,

Yes, use the 21-534EZ. You are filing for Death Pension.

5. rapper

rapper Newbie

Debbie, once again thank you. I am waiting for my Father's death certificate. I have kept all the documents from my original application which was granted for both; marriage certificate, Dad's discharge papers, social security cards, and today I have requested an updated Doctor's statement as to Mom's condition and the nursing home statement as to Mom's residency from the respective Doctor and Nursing home for them to fill out so I can include all of my info in one packet. I will send the death certificate along with the new application and documents to the VA together. It will be interesting to see how quick they stop the pension of $2120.00 (for both) and then grant Mom's $1130.00. This process is almost comical. For my Mom and Dad these funds were not a matter of life and death (it sure helped and made the financial strain easier) but I am sure there are thousands of Vets out there that this delay and confusion causes some big time heartache and worry.

6. vetadmin

Rapper,

You're welcome, and yes, it's better to send it all at the same time.

Will be interested to see how long it takes, but glad that it is not a desperate situation for her. For so many it is.

7. rapper

rapper Newbie

Debbie: I sent Mom's new app. 21-534EZ along with my Father's Death certificate today, February 27th. I will keep you informed as to how fast they stop the Aid and attendance check and then act on my Mom's new App. Once again thanks for all your help.

8. vetadmin

You're welcome, and yes, please update when a decision is made.

9. rapper

rapper Newbie

I checked my Father's checking account on March 1st and his monthly check of $2,120.00 for aid and attendance for he and Mom was cancelled. A few days ago I received three different notices from the VA that the monthly benefit was stopped but one letter informed my Mom that she would receive a check for the month of the vet's death in the amount of $2,120.00 and a $300.00 for funeral expenses. I did not realize the VA pays that $2,120.00 to the spouse for the month of death so that was a pleasant surprise. The regional processing center received Mom's death pension application on March 2nd so we are awaiting their decision.

10. rapper

rapper Newbie

Received the $2,120.00 one time spouse death benefit and $300.00 burial benefit yesterday so that was pretty fast. It has been 18 days since I filed Mom's 21- 534EZ.

11. vetadmin

Very fast, and glad to hear it.

12. rapper

rapper Newbie

Great news, today I received Mom's award for the Death pension of $1149.00 per month. That took only a month and a few days after filing her 21-534EZ form at the end of February. This came from the Milwaukee center which only took approximately a month to grant my Dad's aid and attendance award last year. They withheld the 1st month but started paying monthly payments into her checking account while they determine her incompetency. I am not going to dispute the incompetency (since her diagnosis was dementia and alzheimers) and ask to be appointed so at least if it takes a few months for them to interview me I know the monthly payments will be there during this ruling time period. (I was surprised to see this type of ruling regarding immediate payments).

Once again I want to thank you Debbie for your site and all the info you provide. I cannot stress enough to newbies who are ready to file applications to spend at least 20 to 40 hours reading these posts and gathering info before filing. It is my opinion from my experience that the people who have waits of over 3 months to find out about their claims did not provide all of the correct documents and financials needed to get a claim processed. If you understand the requirements, fill the forms out properly, provide the requested documents you will enjoy success of having your claim approved in under two months.

13. vetadmin

Awesome news, and so happy to hear that they processed so quickly!

Glad to be here for you, and thank you for your kind words.

All the best!

14. phoenixfarm

phoenixfarm Newbie

Rapper, if only what you said about filling out forms correctly were true. I doubt we would need this site. Maybe you are lucky to deal with the Milwaukee office. I deal with Philadelphia. I have kept copies of everything I send and send everything Return Receipt. They claim to not have what I know I sent. They took three months to enter what I sent in January into their system. It's very difficult to be patient when they system is so broken. I now have the help of a great Vet Rep at my Congressman's Office helping. I filed the Aid and Attendance claim in Dec. 2013 for my mother. It has been so frustrating that I have offered to help other Vets with the forms because I know it must seem impossible.

I have happy for you. That's the way it should work.

15. rapper

rapper Newbie

Phoenix farm: Who knows for sure maybe I was just lucky. Maybe Milwaukee has a better track record than other processing centers. I hope and pray that your claim along with all the other claims can get processed correctly and as soon as possible. As I have stated before the benefits that my Dad and Mom have received were never really urgently needed like so many other vets who are in dire straits. My brother and I have always been able to make up the monthly difference needed to keep our parents safe and comfortable. The one last memory of my Father that I will cherish was the day last May that I showed Dad the award letter for he and Mom's aid and attendance. He was so happy and proud that the Country that he fought for had remembered him and lent a helping hand (Priceless) I can understand why so many vets who are denied or kept waiting are so bitter and upset. They deserve better. Rapper

16. vetadmin

The Philly office is not the best office, and for some reason the Milwaukee center just does a better job of processing.

17. rapper

rapper Newbie

Could the reason be more claims into Philly because of population as opposed to Milwaukee or are these regional claim centers set up with each servicing approximately even population numbers?

18. vetadmin

No, that is not the answer. They just have a better system and teams in place. Their example should be the same at all 3 Pension Centers.