Action may be delayed

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by Howard, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Howard

Howard Newbie

Hi,

My 96 year old father just got this mail back from the VA after applying:

"...It is our sincere desire to decide your case promptly. However, as we have a great number of claims, action on yours may be delayed."

He is a WWII veteran. Other than a slow progressing dementia and difficulty walking he is healthier than me. He has about a year's worth left in his account and if he runs out we're concerned that the only place he can afford will have very low quality care.

Is there anything we can do to speed up the process?

Thanks in advance,
    Howard

2. Howard

Howard Newbie

Hi,

Our family is getting very nervous about this. If anyone can just paste a link to a previous post that relates to my question that would be greatly appreciated. No need for a long response. Just a link.

Any response at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Howard

3. Kaiya

Kaiya Newbie

My father is also 96 and a WWII veteran. He applied at the age of 94 and in six months got his award. Write to your father's senator (his state) by going to the website. There should be a section of the senator's website devoted entirely to veteran's affairs. There should be a form that pops up that you can fill out with your father's information and VA claim number. Do not wait to contact the senator's office. Follow up within a week or two. Best of luck to you.

4. Howard

Howard Newbie

Thank you Kaiya! That is very helpful information. I'll give it a try right away.

5. SickofVA

SickofVA Newbie

You need to contact your Senator (Federal). I have not heard that state senators can do anything since the VA is a federal agency. I contacted my Senator's office (Diane Feinstein) and she has staff who work on her constituents' issues with federal agencies. Once they make a request to the VA, the VA is required by law to respond within 30 days. The VA gave me the runaround for a year before I found out to contact my Senator. After that my dad receive hos A&A within about 6 weeks, so the moral of the story is DO NOT WAIT TO CONTACT YOUR SENATOR.