A&A

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stormysix, Feb 1, 2013.

1. stormysix

stormysix Newbie

I applied for A&A for my mother who has dementia. She already recieves DIC pensioon from my father. Before she was getting 1,300.00 a month and this is the first month she got A&A. Her check this month was for 1.628.00. So am I understanding this right. They took her DIC check and are giving her 1,628.00 for A&A or did they add 328.00 to her DIC check? I filled for A&A on Dec 4th 2012 and recieved the letter stating that she would get 1,628.00 per month for her A&A. They also are holding her back pay for one month until an fiduciary is appointed. I still have to send in the 3rd party form and also a form asking to be her fiduciary. So how much will her back pay be 328.00? It's too bad that you lose one that you are already intitled too. So I guess that I have 2 questions 1) Is mama getting the full amount and if not how to try to get more(woule love to go back to work and be able to pay someone to stay with her and go back to work myself. 2)She has been with me for a little over 4 years and the last year she is getting bad. Do I need to send the form for fiduciary myself or wait for them to get in touch with me. Their are 5 of us children but I am the only one who has been taken care of her. One brother comes and visits every Sunday but the other 2 that live here never come or call. Their is one more but she is in Washington state and we are in Tennessee. so should I send the form in requesting to be hers or wait for them to get in toudch. All in all was very happy about how fast and efficient everything was.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Was your Dad rated at 100% service connected or a POW?

3. stormysix

stormysix Newbie

daddy was 100 percent mama said. How is it determined on the amount of A&A that you get.

4. vetadmin

She was entitled to both A&A and DIC due to his 100% rating, which is where the increase is.

5. stormysix

stormysix Newbie

how do they decide on how much to award for A&A. Since she was getting 1300 and now 1628 she is getting 328 for the A&A. How do they decide on how much to award

6. stormysix

stormysix Newbie

I am getting ready to go back to work and need to pay someone to stay with mother some (my husband works graaveyard so he helps when he gets up)

7. vetadmin

Not sure on what the formula is, and for the widow it is half of what the veteran would have gotten. The vet would have been around $684, so half of that is $342.00. She is at the max award given her circumstances.