A & A Vet broke hip - now in hospital

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kayellen, Dec 24, 2011.

1. kayellen

kayellen Newbie

Vet w/ A & A broke hip and currently in hospital --- will be going to Rehab care --- Now what --- How long can he be in rehab without voiding his A & A eligibility? His wife is still in the home with problems of her own.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

While he is in rehab, more than likely Medicare will be picking up the majority of the bill, so unless he contines paying the ALF, he can't claim that expense. Depending on how long he is in rehab, it would be best to continue to pay the ALF so he has his room to return to, and won't have a big drop in expenses. If it is going to be more than 60 days, you will need to inform the VA.

3. stevem

stevem Newbie

My mother is in same situation. Fell and broke her hip and now in rehab for several weeks. I am still paying for her assisted living facility but it doesn't look as though she will be able to return due to the many added services she will be needing all at extra cost. I don't know at what point I need to inform the VA (or what form to use) that she will be going to a nursing facility and on Medicaid since the VA has yet to do anything about appointing a fiduciary or sending her backpay. What a mess....

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Steve,

You would use VA form 21-4138 Statement in support of claim. I would fight like crazy to get that back money before she is approved for Medicaid. Until she is approved, she is entitled to the A&A.

I would contact the VA and tell them this has created a tremendous financial hardship and you are asking for expediting the Field Agent's interview.