A&A success

Discussion in 'Share Your Personal Experience' started by caregiver48, Oct 2, 2011.

1. caregiver48

caregiver48 Newbie

i would just like to thank debbie and everyone on the forum who helped me in applying for my mom. i just received the award letter and she was approved for almost 600 dollars a month. this really helps a lot with her care. so let me give u the timeline. this was amazing.

aug 17...mailed the application certified mail
    received return receipt saying it was received on aug22
    call va and they informed me it was established in system on aug24 and was in developmental phase
    called later on about a week or so later and was told it was before rating board
    and it could be a few weeks before i hear anything
    aug 28 was informed claimed closed and decision was made
    oct1 received award letter for mom

it took about 35 days for a decision. i did include a cover letter asking them to expedite application because of her age and this really helped. now just have to go thru fiduciary process but the main thing is my mom is awarded the funds that will help keep her at home. thanks again to you debbie and thanks for caring and helping a lot of people who u dont even know. may God bless u.
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations, and thank you for your kind words.

So glad the letter asking for expediating her claim due to advanced age was honored.

Don't forget if her expenses go up to send in a Statement in Support of Claim for consideration of a higher award amount.
  3. caregiver48

caregiver48 Newbie

now that my mom has been approved, we have to go thru the fiduciary process. my sister will be fiduciary but she live in a different city. my question is will the field examiner visit her at her home and then my mom at her home for the interview? do they need to be at same location. also how do i word the form 21-4138 stating that we waive my moms due process right about being incompetent. do another form has to be filled out authorizing my sister to be named fiduciary. i am a little confused about this process and would gratefully appreciate any info.
  4. vetadmin

Once you receive notification from the VA that they find it necessary for a fiduciary to be appointed you should submit Form 21-4138 and include the following statement:

Please be advised that (parent's name) and I have no issue with the VA finding of incompetence and wish to proceed with the appointment of a fiduciary. We wish to appoint myself (her/his insert your relationship to the veteran) as fiduciary. I understand that I must be interviewed prior to that appointment and would appreciate such an interview be scheduled as soon as possible.

The Field Agent may require that your sister travel to be with your mom for the meeting, so you do need to be prepared for that request/requirement.
  5. caregiver48

caregiver48 Newbie

again...many thanks debbie. will let u know how everything finally turns out.
  6. vetadmin

You are so welcome!