A & A monthly amount ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blueridgevoyager, Aug 23, 2009.

1. I am the VA Fiduciary and caretaker for my 82 yr. old mother.
    She was recieving a $1,400 per month widow's pension from the VA. She was awarded an additional $286 per month for the A & A benefit.
    According to the VA website, the A & A benefit could be as much as $976.25 per month or $11,715 annually.
    The VA field examiner told me that she was now recieving the maximum benefit amount.
    Is this true? Could she qualify for an additional $690.25 per month?
    If so, how do I apply for the increased amount?
  2. pologal

pologal Guest

it does not sound like your mom was getting pension. pension is income based and even a widow with AA would not get that much a month. I think mom receives DIC.

effective 12/08 a widow's DIC (dependency and indemnity compensation) benefit was $1,154. With A/A of $286, this totals $1,400 per month.

that is the max for her. no she cant qualify for anything more than that. the rate wont change except for cost of living every year.

3. USMA78

USMA78 Newbie

I want to thank this site for excellent information on Aid and Attendance. There is very little about this on the US Veterans Affairs website.

I would ask one small little addition to your information, maybe you can put this in the FAQs.

I read all the pages, downloaded the forms, read them over, got ready to submit the 21-4138 form to get the claims process started with the required verbage, and read over the 21-534 to apply for the pension amount. But since my mom is in receipt of Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, I decided to call the VA 800 number to see if I needed to send in all the supporting documentation; since she has been receiving DIC since July 1964 and VA has all the eligibility information.

After waiting 25 minutes waiting (not bad for a Monday), I talked to a nice lady from VA. She explained that I did not need to send in the 21-534 form, that I needed to fax in the Doctor's form (21-2680) to the Philadelphia Pension Management Center, PO Box 8079, Philadelphia, PA 19101, FAX 215-381-3777 instead. I was pretty happy, lot less work and all.

Then the downer, because my mom is receiving DIC, the A&A payment is only $286 added to her DIC payment of $1,154. Not bad, but thinking she may be eligible for the $1,057 additional amount. This would be nice if it was mentioned somewhere besides the Forum.

Thanks to all you do for all us veterans.
  4. Max

Max Hero Member

You cannot receive death pension and DIC. She would be eligible for the standard DIC rate of $1,154.00 plus $286.00 for aid and attendance. She may be eligible for an additional $246.00 per month if the veteran was rated at 100% service-connected disabled for 8 years prior to his death and she was married to him for those same 8 years.

You cannot get the $1,056.00 per month for death pension with aid and attendance AND DIC though.