A&A Forms Required? Is VA Form 21-0516-1 required?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ajkenne, Apr 20, 2012.

  1. ajkenne

    ajkenne Newbie

    Putting my A&A Improved Pension application together for my MIL who is a surviving spouse of a wartime veteran. She recently moved into an assisted living facility. Have prepared the packet including cover letter and expeditious handling request (age 90) to include:

    VA Form 21-534 including SSA form 24 and continuation sheet
    DD 214
    Officer Records Brief (WF Form 66)
    Marriage Certificate
    Death Certificate
    SF 180 Request for Military Records
    VA Form 21-2680 with continuation sheet
    Nursing Home Status Statement
    Report of Resident Physical Examination
    Determining Countable Income Worksheet
    Social Security Benefits Statement
    Survivor Benefits Annuitant Account Statement w DFAS 1099 for 2011
    Pension Annuity Benefits, AXA Equitable
    NFCU Interest Summary
    Financial Plan on how she plans to pay for ALF
    Voided Check, Bank of America
    VA Form 21-0845

    My question do I need to fill out the VA Form 21-0516-1? Is that a form required for the submission packet or does the VA ask for it later? If it is required, I need to know how to get a copy because it is not available from the government sites. It shows up but does not download as the fill-able pdf form. The link must be broken. Are there any other forms that I may need? Help please as I want to get this packet in ASAP to begin the process. Thanks, Austin
  2. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

    I think you are including items that are not necessary in making this applicaiton.

    You do not need to include the following:
    Military SF 180 if you are sending a copy of the DD 214
    Countable income worksheet
    Financial plan for paying ALF

    You do not include the EVR 21-0516. That is a form the VA sends out annually once the applicant has been approved for the pension.

    You do need to get a Statement of Occupancy from the facility which will show the services being provided and the amount of monthly payment, confirming she is a resident there.

    Be sure to keep a complete copy of the application for your records, mail Return Receipt to the proper Pension Maintenance Center that handles the state she lives in.

    Good luck!
  3. janetkwall

    janetkwall Newbie

    My mom is a surviving spouse of a war veteran and I have recently found out that she may be eligible for additional benefits from the VA. How do I know what forms are applicable to be completed and where do I find those forms?

    For example - VA Form 21-534 including SSA form 24 and continuation sheet DD 214 -- is this online?
    What is this form for? VA Form 21-0845

    Do I need to go to the VA Building in Newark?
  4. vetadmin

    vetadmin Administrator Staff Member


    I highly suggest you return to the site and read through it. There is a complete list of all the documentation needed as well as all the forms that you can print off. http://www.veteranaid.org/apply.php

Share This Page