A&A for S-C Compensation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dondelmundo, Apr 29, 2010.

1. dondelmundo

dondelmundo Newbie

Hello, thank you so much for what you're doing to help us. The world needs more people like you.

After reading a huge number of the posts I found one in which you told the person the information they needed wasn't on this site but you offered to refer them to someone who might be able to help. The hospice social worker told me there was a program I qualify for but it's what this forum is about and evidently not of benefit to me.

My situation:

I will be 65 on Sept. 15, 2010. I'm divorced and live with a smaller Perro de las Calles.

I have 3 P&T 100% SC disability ratings due to VN service both in-country and on Yankee Station for:
    1--- adenocarcinoma of the prostate
    2--- carcinoma of the bone
    3---carcinoma (small cell) of the lung

In addition I have the following SC ratings:
    1---anxiety disorder w/PTSD features rated 50%
    2---degenerative disc disease w/ traumatic arthritis of the spine 20%
    3---diabetes mellitus 20% (treated with Metformin and Glipizide, no insulin)
    4---otitis externa 10%

As part of my application for A&A I will file for loss of use of a reproductive organ (ED due to prostate cancer, sterility, inability to ejaculate). I will also file for loss of use of both legs due to extreme weakness, and loss of use of both feet due to numbness and extreme edema. I have a history of falling due to inability to maintain my balance. I've had to call 911 to get help getting up. I use an electric lift chair to get to my feet and hospice has provided a specialized hospital bed. I'm 6' 2" and 245 pounds. I no longer drive due to impaired motion of my legs. My VA oncologist provided the form for me to get a blue handicapped parking tag that's valid through 2013.

I am in an assisted living facility and paying for it out of pocket. I am also under hospice care for assistance with my medications which are supplied by both hospice and the VA. My VA oncologist referred me to hospice because I was adamant about being prescribed a drug that none of them were willing to give me although they prescribed it for several years while I was receiving chemo and radiation therapies.

Hospice provides an aide to help me with my showers and my personal bathroom duties. I wear adult diapers and a portable urinal.

Due to the danger of falling I no longer cook. I set my daughter's kitchen on fire and on several occasions had to leave to get to the bathroom and forgot I was cooking.

On one occasion my sister had to send the paramedics to my lake cabin because I became disoriented and incoherent.

I have a borrowed electric scooter and I'm waiting until May 13 for my primary care PA in the Denton satellite clinic to refer me to the Dallas VA medical center to request a more suitable unit from them. The VA provided a brace for my right knee. Within the past six months my eyes have been examined and found to be okay. My hearing is okay. The psych folks in Dallas have scheduled me twice and cancelled both appointments.

And last, my file is in the Waco RO so should I send the new application for additional benefits to that office? I'm near Dallas so my sister can take me there if that would help.

Again, bless you and thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide. You're truly a Texas treasure and greatly appreciated.

Don in The Colony
    (dondelmundo)

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Don,

There is no way that I could possibly address this inquiry. These SMC ratings are the most complex c*** in the VA system. Someone would have to practically start from the beginning to determine what level to file for and what evidence is available to qualify for it. Most service officers and VA employees don’t bring it up because of the complexity of it. Just too many what’s, ifs and ands.

As far as the question on where you should send the claim to would depend on which VA Regional Office has your claims file folder. You should be able to call the 1-800-827-1000 and ask for your file location.

I am sorry that I could not provide you with more info on this issue, but this goes way beyond the scope of this site and forum.

3. dondelmundo

dondelmundo Newbie

Every no brings me closer to a yes so I do appreciate your response. I've been researching and filling out VA forms and now that I have a grip on what I should be asking for, in my case a "pension", I'm off in a cloud of dust. Wish me luck!

And again, thank you!

Don

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Don,

I hope that cloud of dust gets you what you deserve for your sacrifice to our country. Thank you for your service!

Debbie