A&A for my Mama

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimmylinn, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

Hi just joining. I have just sent off application for my Mama. The web site was very helpful
    and here's hoping I got it all right. ???

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Glad you found the site and forums helpful, and wishing you the best of luck!

Keep us posted.

3. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

We got form letter from VA stating that they had receoved application.But due to backlog it may be a delay in reviewing the appliction.
    I put cover letter stating her age which is 88 and requesting it be looked at quickly. Should I do a follow up letter or wait a while.
    Thanks

4. vetadmin

No, don't do another letter. Give it 45 days, and if you don't hear anything, call them. Depending on what they say at that point, let me know.

5. nagaer

nagaer Newbie

I just got the same kind of letter.. my says: we are now in the process of deciding whether additional evidence or information is needed. Is it 45 days from this letter or from the application?

6. vetadmin

From the date of the letter.

7. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

As I am reading the different post. I am thinking I didn't do my Mom's application correctly. I don't think her medical will be enough as I didn't do expenses for my taking care of her. Do I need to send more information showing that I am her full time caregiver and charge her the going rate for those services?

8. vetadmin

You can send the VA a VA form 21-4138 "Statement in Support of Claim" letting them know that you forget to include her caregiving costs that you provide. You will have to have proof that she pays you, so be sure to have her write you a check for the amount she pays you.

9. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

I just transfer from her account to mine for payment can I just send copy of bank statement showing the transfers?
    Also on the countable income she has no assects except her SS so should her income be showing zero or close to it?

10. vetadmin

You should just send the form I suggested informing them you ommitted her caregiving expenses. They may ask for another statement down the road, but not now providing you included the most current with her applicaiton.

11. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

I am mailing off.the 21-4138 tomorrow. Thanks

12. vetadmin

You're welcome, and keep us posted!

14. I strongly recommend that you send the form to include her care expenses. I didn't include them though I care for her 24/7 and my mom only receives SS and I was awarded only $6.25 what a blow after waiting 13 months...all the while receiving letters saying they were still processing the application and apologizing for the delay. Now I'm trying to determine if it's worth it to appeal. I do have proof that her bills were more than her income but I don't have proof that she paid me for her care because most of the time she couldn't afford it.
    If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome the comments.

15. vetadmin

You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER appeal a decision on this pension. Appeals are for those who file for "compensation". A&A is a pension and not compensation. If you file an appeal, it is an automatic 2+ years for a decision.

All you need to do is a VA form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim providing any additional information that you want to give the VA to reconsider the applicaiton based on the new evidence/information.

Grandma, if you have proof of payments for the care you provided, you do need to submit to the VA for them to review her application.

16. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

Still haven't heard anything but I have a question .
    My Mama was in the hospital in March and has quite a few bills from the stay that she has had to pay.
    Should I send these in or just wait until I get answer from what has already been sent in?
    Thanks

17. vetadmin

You can save them, and send them when the time comes for her annual EVR, but hospital bill are not reoccurring monthly expenses, so just hang on to them.

18. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

We received another letter saying they are still processing the application. Should I do anything else or just keep waiting?

19. vetadmin

When did you submit the application?

20. Jimmylinn

Jimmylinn Newbie

Mailed it on March 5 2012 and sent form 21-4138 april 2