A&A Caregiver

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KGM, Jan 23, 2010.

1. KGM

KGM Newbie

First of all - thank you for this invaluable site. God Bless you for helping as many people as you have.

I have recently completed the A&A application for my father-in-law. He is 87 and receiving home care for both his advanced age and dementia. He has received correspondence from the VA stating they needed additional info (don't they always!) including "supporting evidence" regarding the caregiver. We are using the services of a friend of a friend to provide his home care 3 to 4 days a week (other days family members manipulate our schedules to provide his care). Payment to this provider is via a check from my father-in-laws checking account. The issue seems to be that the caregiver is relunctant in having us provide her personal information to the VA. We would hate to lose her services as she is an excellent provider to my father-in-law, but we need to satisfy the VA requirements. Can you please let me know what level of detail are we required to provide regarding the caregiver.
    Thank you.

2. pologal1979

pologal1979 Guest

you need to provide the caregivers full name, the amount paid, the frequency of payment, and proof these payments are being made. you can make copies of the cashed checks from the bank.

if the care giver does not want you to provide thier name, at minimum, get a new care provider. they are probably worried about having to report the income to the IRS. sounds a bit sketchy to me, but that is my opinion.

3. KGM

KGM Newbie

Thanks for the info. I can easily provide all the info that you mentioned as well as having the aide provide a signed receipt for the payment. I also think it is only an IRS issue. My main concern is getting good care for my father-in-law, which she does provide.