A&A and Social Security, NC VA offices says either or?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by USMCkid, Apr 21, 2015.

1. USMCkid

USMCkid Newbie

Hi,
    My mom is the widow of a WWII vet. she is 88. 3 In 2012 I sought the A&A benefit for her through a NC VA benefits office. I was told that she may NOT receive both Social Security and A & A, that it is an either/or scenario.

My sister, who lives in Ga. has been told that is NOT the case. That she(mom) may receive both. Can you clarify this please?

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Your Mom can receive both SS and the A&A Pension providing she is indeed eligible for it.

Receiving SS has nothing to do with being awarded this pension, and whoever told you such, is greatly mistaken.

3. USMCkid

USMCkid Newbie

Macon County Veteran's Services
    104 East Main Street
    Franklin, NC 28734
    Daylon Plemens, Director
    (828) 349-2151

This is who told me 3 LONG years ago!

4. USMCkid

USMCkid Newbie

Where now do I apply for these benefits, I am so confused?

5. vetadmin

Use the site, and print off all the necessary forms. Read through the site for the list of all necessary documentations that go with the application. Dot every "I" and cross every "T" on the application. Do not leave anything blank.

Keep a copy of the entire packet for your records. Mail return receipt to the proper pension center for her state. You can find that here on the forums under Tips and Resources and also on the site.

Unfortunately, there is no way to go back on the misinformation of 3 years ago.

It is not uncommon for incorrect information to be given out at local levels. Most of their training is for "compensation" claims and not "pension".

6. USMCkid

USMCkid Newbie

Form asks what I am claiming, is the answer DIC ?

7. vetadmin

If you are filing for Aid and Attendance, it is "Death Pension". DIC would only be in the event the veteran died due to service-connected injuries.

8. USMCkid

USMCkid Newbie

Thank you for that, a VA Field Service officer gave me wrong info on that too. So the field officer as given me a 21-4138 with deceased vets name and social stating inability to handle own funds...however the claim is for my mom, widow. Form has HIS name and social and nowhere is her name on the form and they want her to sign.
    Is this correct?

9. vetadmin

I'm not understanding what he/she is telling you. Since your Dad has passed, this is incorrect as well.

Your Mom is applying, and you need to do VA form 21-534EZ. I suggest you disregard what the local person is telling you and follow the suggestions on our site and here on the forums.