A&A and Medicaid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cfess, Jun 24, 2012.

1. cfess

cfess Newbie

On another topic I read the following statement, and now I have a queston:

My mom will soon be moving to an Assisted Living Facility. We will apply for A&A at that time and believe she will qualify based on all the things I've read here. We expect her funds to be totally gone in about 2 years and her only income will be her Social Security. At that time the AFL will allow Medicaid to take over her payments.

Will the VA reduce her A&A benefit amount, as mentioned above, when that happens?

Thanks.

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Yes, at that time they will reduce it to $90 and that money cannot be spent on medical expenses. You would need to use it for her personal items.

3. cfess

cfess Newbie

Thank you.
    I know that Medicaid in our state allows a person to keep about $62 from their social security check for personal expenses. Do you happen to know if the $90 from A&A would be in addition to that allowance, i.e. she would have $152 for personal expenses?

Thanks for all your help!

4. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Medicaid laws differ from state to state, and generally Medicaid does not allow anything left over, so I can't say with certainty, but I would lean towards just the $90.