A&A and Death Benefit Annuity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by two.vets.kid, Apr 9, 2014.

1. two.vets.kid

two.vets.kid Newbie

My mother is a vet who served active duty as a nurse in WWII. My father was also vet in WWII. He died in 1962, and my mom receives a death benefit annuity for his service, as his death was service-connected.

As my mom is eligible to apply based on her own service, I'm wondering if the annuity she gets for my dad's death would be a factor in the VA's consideration for her A&A, other than as income to her.

Mom is 93. She is now below the $80,000 asset level, but it took her about 5 years to get there. She lives at home and has two paid caregivers, in addition to attention from three daughters. Based on her current expenses, her funds should last 3 more years. Realistically, and in your opinion, does it make sense for her to apply at this time? I don't mind going through the process with her, but if based on your experiences it would be fruitless, I'd save myself and the VA some time and trouble.

Thanks for this wonderful resource and for the service you are providing to us all.
  2. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Full Member

Sounds like your mother receives Death and Indemnity Compensation (DIC).

I believe that generally pays about $1200 per month these days. If your mom were eligible for the max A&A, she'd receive $1758 per month. But she won't receive both benefits, just the greater of the two.

Even if your mother isn't eligible for A&A based on net worth, it sounds like she'd be eligible for DIC with an A&A allowance, which pays about another $300 and change per month. That just requires a letter to the VA asking for the allowance (use VA Form 21-4138) and a medical statement signed by the doctor (use 21-2680).

To determine if your mom is likely eligible for the full $1758, I'd need her gross monthly income and her care expenses and a little more detail about that $80,000.

You can PM or email me if you don't want to divulge that information publicly.