A & A Amount?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfogarty, Aug 22, 2012.

1. jfogarty

jfogarty Newbie

Hello all,

Back in December 2011 my veteran dad and his wife (my mom) applied for the BASIC pension (not A & A) they were denied due to excessive income. My dad has now been officially diagnosed with Alzheimers and they have moved to Assisted Living (RCAC). They just recently applied for A & A. My parents have a very small income (only social security) and a meager savings. Based off of the countable income calculations they have negative $10,000 income per year. That leaves a deficit of roughly $800/mo. Does anyone know if that equates to an $800/mo award or is there more to it than that? Thanks!!

PS My dad is 78, mom is 73.
  2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Since you are under 12 months since applying, you need to submit a VA forms 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim informing the VA of the change in their circumstances, their new address, and new financial situation. You also need to get the ALF to complete a "Statement of Occupancy" showing them as residents, move in date, services provided, and amount they pay.

I highly suggest you get this off to the VA asap. Not sure how they will calculate given that your parents are still fairly young.

You don't mention your Mom's situation and if she requires assistance, but at a minimum, Dad should not having an issue getting approved this time around.

Good Luck!
  3. jfogarty

jfogarty Newbie

Thank you!!! I submitted everything you mentioned except for the Statement from the ALF.

Thanks for help. Mom doesn't need assistance at this time. We moved them to ALF because she is not able to safely care for him alone any longer.