87 Year old not eligible for benefits?

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by chloedog, Nov 2, 2015.

1. chloedog

chloedog Newbie

Hi,
    I'm helping my dads friend apply for a pension. Both are WWII vets. I'm learning that I guess my dad qualified because he had hearing loss. Jon, on the other hand, is completely healthy. No hearing loss, no PTSD, no injuries from his time in service. So, even though his Social Security is minimal, I guess he does not meet the criteria for a pension because he's still healthy. Anyone have any tips or anything I haven't thought of?
    His wife passed from dementia and heart problems in 2009. He does live with and care for his 50 year old daughter who had a traumatic brain injury at 20, but she is married. Her caregiver/husband lives there too, and he tries to hold a job and take care of her at the same time.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Joanna

2. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Joanna,

First you would need to confirm that his dates of service do make him "eligible" for this benefit. You can find those dates on the website www.VeteranAid.org

If he is "eligible", then at this point in time, it would only be for the "Basic" level of the benefit that does not have a requirement for assistance with daily living. If his social security monthly amount is less than $1,380, then he could potentially be awarded the difference to bring him up to that level. It may only be a matter of a couple of hundred dollars difference, but for many, that little difference makes a big difference.