70-year old expedition of appl is invalid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kajunkid, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kajunkid

kajunkid Newbie

i was informed by a Care Mgmt team that there is no provision in Title 38 of the Federal Regulations stating we could ask for expeditious processing based on a veteran being 70 years. This team said there is the Title does reference if the vetera is 90 years old or more OR they are categorized as hospice, then a letter for expediating application can be included.

can you give me the actual regulation citing the 70 year old request to expediate so that i can read it for myself? i'd really appreciate any help you can give regarding this..thanks!

2. Marp

Marp Jr. Member

The U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of speech, thus, you are allowed (IMO) to request that the application of a 70 year old be expedited. The VA analyst who reviews the file may or may not honor your request, but your may still ask.

Also, the U.S. Code may not specifically say that you can request expedited processing for a 70 year old, but the VA may have an internal policy which allows expedited processing.

3. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You can inform these folks that they are incorrect, and that the rule for 70 or older per the VA's own standard does indeed apply, and they should not be telling people incorrect information.

VA Expediting Oldest Benefit Applications
    WASHINGTON – Secretary of Veterans Affairs Anthony J. Principi today announced an unprecedented effort to move some long-pending applications for benefits, especially from older veterans, to a special unit designed to speed action on their claims.
    The focus of the administration's initiative is veterans 70 years of age or older.

Claims that require priority processing are individuals who are

terminally ill

Veterans very seriously injured in service, not

under extreme financial hardship

former POW s

survivors of former POWs

homeless, or
    ---)~ • under Tiger Team jurisdiction (age 70 and old status more than one year).

4. kajunkid

kajunkid Newbie

thank you very much for your replies! i was thinking since dad is already 85 that i might include the request just the same, but it goes to show you that you should check information given to you against a reputable source and that's this website and the forum participants. what an invaluable site this is!! my dad and i thank you and i'm sure i'll be asking more questions as we go along. :D

5. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome!